Anyone booking trips for August?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
For the rest of this year you should consider the possibility of having to cancel at short notice. I would only book accommodation with free cancellation unless you are able to write the money off.

We usually do Cyprus in May and Gran Canaria in September for the cycling but this year are not going anywhere. Not while these restrictions - sometimes randomly applied - are in force. Or not in force but some people think they are or whatever. The confusion over it and control the little hitlers love to exert make it not worth the effort.
confusion and little hitlers. yup. there are many reasons in my mind not to plan a "big trip" this year, but it's the thought of confused little hitlers mucking me about and fecking up my plans that is the final straw.

(It's one reason I hate flying in normal times - some twat in a uniform can just decide to make your day miserable.)

I've just booked a trip in England - in an area I've been in/near before. Booking site I've used before (!). I know broadly what stuff will be open, I speak the language - if not the dialects - and if issues DO arise, I have more confidence in resolving them.

MarkF

Guru
I am going to wait for the Hull ferries to make their resumption plans public, I'm not sure I can put up with extra airport hassle so it's looking like a Netherlands/Belgium/Germany tour late August. If the airport hassle is not as bad as I fear then I'll wait until Sept & do Bilbao-Malaga.

Julia9054

Guru
I am going to wait for the Hull ferries to make their resumption plans public, I'm not sure I can put up with extra airport hassle so it's looking like a Netherlands/Belgium/Germany tour late August. If the airport hassle is not as bad as I fear then I'll wait until Sept & do Bilbao-Malaga.
Looks like P&O are not resuming sailings on this route until October unfortunately. I have a P&O credit note from Direct Ferries and was thinking of using it to go from Zeebrugge down France with the tent.
Eurotunnel is running but seems to have doubled in price since last year.

Jimidh

Veteran
Holiday money has already been re-allocated to the garden project and landscaper instructed do August cycling around Mid and East Lothian for me.

Julia9054

Guru
In fact, all ferry prices seem massively inflated compared to usual. If I can, I will be going to France though - I am fundamentally unsuited to working from home, work invading every hour and thoroughly sick of the inside of my own house. I will take my bike, my walking boots, my tent and a pile of books. I will leave my iPad at home and only switch my phone on for essentials.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Today, we booked train tickets to Avignon for the back end of August to go and stay with a friend. We did a thorough risk assessment given the current information available. Ultimately, I came to the conclusion that that I could die of medical conditions completely unrelated to C-19 and I wasn't prepared to spend an unlimited percentage of whatever number days I have left before I croak hiding away in a self-imposed prison.

Others will view things differently. I'm just acutely aware that my life does not stretch endlessly ahead of me.

Slick

Guru
I've got a golfing week booked in Turkey for end of September with some friends. How much of a gamble that is remains to be seen but at some point we have to take responsibility for our own behaviour and taking a few simple precautions should help reduce any residual risk. 🤞

lane

Veteran
Looks like P&O are not resuming sailings on this route until October unfortunately. I have a P&O credit note from Direct Ferries and was thinking of using it to go from Zeebrugge down France with the tent.
Eurotunnel is running but seems to have doubled in price since last year.

I have a credit note as well but won't be using it until next spring now.

lane

Veteran
Should have been in France now for a week but cancelled in April.

Anyone find it odd how people have changed their priorities from protecting people to concern about the risk of losing money if they don't get to go... the risk of spreading C-19 is exactly the same as it was at the start of lockdown. Clever manipulation of people's mindset.

How exactly do you calculate the risk of catching Covid is the same now as the start of lockdown?

Today, we booked train tickets to Avignon for the back end of August to go and stay with a friend. We did a thorough risk assessment given the current information available. Ultimately, I came to the conclusion that that I could die of medical conditions completely unrelated to C-19 and I wasn't prepared to spend an unlimited percentage of whatever number days I have left before I croak hiding away in a self-imposed prison.

Others will view things differently. I'm just acutely aware that my life does not stretch endlessly ahead of me.
Absolutely. There are risks in every hour of life. Do your research, then make the choices you are comfortable with.

figbat

Slippery scientist
We were supposed to be leaving tomorrow for two weeks in southern France. BA cancelled our outbound flight a few weeks ago and whilst we may have been able to find alternative ways of getting there to use the independently-booked villa, we decided that it would be forcing a bad position so cancelled the lot and got refunds on most stuff and a successful insurance claim on the non-refundable accommodation deposit.

So camping in the Cotswolds in August it is then.

Top Bottom