Anyone bought a car from a car 'supermarket'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
I was thinking of buying my next car from a car supermarket (e.g. Available Cars), since they have so many cars to choose from all in the one place.

Has anyone ever bought a car from a car 'supermarket' before?

Hard sell or easy-going? Did you do a part-ex? Where did you buy from?

Recommendations/suggestions, please?

Many thanks

Monst

Carcraft...High pressure sales, they prefer to sell you 'credit' as well, they do either pre registered 'new' cars or high milage rep mobiles, low value for part ex. Ok if you do research and know how much you are prepared to spend and what you are looking for and how much you chosen car is worth and how much your part ex is worth.

longers

Legendary Member
Cheers Monst - I was trying to think of that firm. A clued up friend went there to px his old car and pay cash for the balance on a newer one. They didn't know what to do with him. Been once for a look round myself a few years ago - they seem to be using cars as a "vehicle" for selling finance. I may be wrong.

Had a look round "The Car People" once - no bother from sales people at all. Seemed laid back but I didn't enter into any negotiations with them.

simonali

Guru
Always google for reviews. Some are better than others, Motorpoint being one of the bad ones. They sell older cars as brand new and people have trouble with warranty claims afterwards.

bonj2

don't take their finance. It's not good value.
They make out they're selling cars but like longers says they're using it as a front to selling uncompetitive loans. Things like painting how much it is a month on the front of cars instead of how much it is to buy, etc.
If you arrange your finance yourself competively through a bank etc, get clued up on how much you should be paying for the car you intend to buy, and only buy the car and not loads of add-on warranties which they will no doubt try and sell you, then you can't go far wrong.

surfgurl

If you do choose their finance deals check the small print very very carefully. A friend found she had an extra amount going out of her bank each month for an insurance on the loan. By the time she found out about it, it was too late to cancel the insurance and stop paying the money.

wafflycat

Got my current car from what was effectively a car supermarket. The price was exceedingly good compared to the level of prices expected for make/model/age. Like anything else, do your homework & shop around before buying.

dudi

I deal with "Car Giant" in white city, london on a daily basis with work. they are a pretty good company. the prices are great, but the mileage can be high.

so long as you know what you're looking at and know what you want you'll not go far wrong. Bonj is correct, the loans associated with the purchase of the car are not usually the best available. especially if you have a less than perfect credit rating. but they do sort it out for you and it does make it quite easy. the main benefit of a Hire Purchase loan is that if the car goes wrong, you have 2 companies to moan at. the seller and the finance company. both of which have a obligation to ensure that the good they are selling/financing are of merchantable quality.

car supermarkets pile them high and sell them cheap. if you have the cash to buy the car then the sales technique they use will be a lot softer than if you want finance as they will try to stretch your budget a bit.

they're definitely worth a look. but ake sure the car is all it seems!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I bought my car from The Car People and my dad has bought two. No hassle, although as has been said, get your own finance.

Lots to pick from, and they are happy for you to test drive. I drove 3 different cars before deciding on the one I wanted. If there are any little problems with the cars, they will fix it for you.

The cars are just cleaned, then given a quick oil change when you buy it. The car's aren't dressed up. You won't get a good PX as they don't make much on the cars they are selling, and you won't get a discount - the price you see is the price you pay !

Jaded

Have you thought of an auction? I got my ex-fleet estate from an auction at 2/3rds of the forecourt price.

You need nerves of steel, a plan and the patience to look out for a vehicle you really want! I went for an ex-fleet car as a lower risk than a privately owned one.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Car Giant seemed OK when we were looking last year - lots of cars, no pressure whatsoever. very much a "pile 'em high, sell em cheap" operation. They didn't seem too pushy on finance either. We ended up buying from a local dealer though, as the offer was just too good to miss.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Monst said:
Carcraft...High pressure sales, they prefer to sell you 'credit' as well, they do either pre registered 'new' cars or high milage rep mobiles, low value for part ex. Ok if you do research and know how much you are prepared to spend and what you are looking for and how much you chosen car is worth and how much your part ex is worth.

Carcraft were bloody awful last time I was there - ended up walking out on the salesman.

Their schtick at the time was to give you a weekly/monthly payment figure. "But how much am I paying for the car?" "Well, I can make it this much a month." "Yes, but what's the price of the car?" etc etc.

gbb

Legendary Member
Croyland Car Magastore for me...Rushden Northants..
Picked up a low mileage Vectra SRI, 2 years old for the same money as local garages were selling much older, much higher mileage cars.

Trade in on my old car was comparable with local garages

I had one problem with the suspension, fixed straight away by Croyland.

Sales staff were helpful, friendly and not pushy. On the negative side, hey did seem slow to do the paperwork once you had made the decision to buy.
It may be they were busy, but that was the only fly in the ointment for me.
Still got the car 4 years later, it's been flawless in almost every area.

<-------- errr, thats not it in my avatar !!!!

Top Bottom