anyone cooler than me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

baldycyclist

Über Member

okay I could have had the light go on when the door opened.
But have you got a better home coming?
Possibly a "lady that does" with a pint of Guinness on a tray waiting?
Balds......

A remote control for your garage. More geek chic than cool I think.

:thumbsup:

Keith Oates

Janner
Costs a bit more than a remote in the long run.
Yes, but you don't have the extra weight of the remote on your bike and also with a little bit of coaching she will also make a nice cup of tea and have it waiting after you've parked the bike, closed the garage door and gone into the house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I have a 'remote control' front door opener. I just beep my 'Thunder horn' as I pull down the drive, and the Missus then opens the front door for me. It never fails because when I arrive home I expect my Dinner within 15 minutes, therefore she will always be in the kitchen and hear my arrival.

OP
OP
baldycyclist

baldycyclist

Über Member
I might get one of these.
I agree it could cost in the long term, but it does have other benefits...

Norm

okay I could have had the light go on when the door opened.
PIR-operated lights are fantastic, I would (and, indeed, have) take them over a remote opener as it's just brillig having the lights turn on when you open any of the garage doors.

However, I am planning on the remote opening too. :thumbsup: Although "planning" has taken over 10 years so far. :laugh:

OP
OP
baldycyclist

baldycyclist

Über Member
PIR-operated lights are fantastic, I would (and, indeed, have) take them over a remote opener as it's just brillig having the lights turn on when you open any of the garage doors.

However, I am planning on the remote opening too. :thumbsup: Although "planning" has taken over 10 years so far. :laugh:
I think I may investigate the PIR thing - so I think all I would do is attach it to the existing circuit and make sure the switch is always on - what do you think?

Norm

I think I may investigate the PIR thing - so I think all I would do is attach it to the existing circuit and make sure the switch is always on - what do you think?
That would work, although it has possible drawbacks.

I've done it slightly differently and, possibly, slightly OTT but I put in a second set of lights with PIR switching and put flouro tubes on the standard switch. My thinking is that there are times, when fettling a set of bearings, for instance, that you don't move around much but you REALLY don't want it to suddenly get dark. If I'm going to spend much time in the garage, I switch on the flouro tubes which don't use much electricity but which do put out a fair amount of light. If, however, I'm just going through the garage, much as your video, when coming home or going out, then I'm always moving around and the PIR lights are all that is needed as they don't go out.

It was fairly straightforward, although I'd recommend using an electrician if you aren't confident (I think you also need certification to even play on your home electrics now), it takes a feed from the current (boom boom!) source up to the PIR switch. I also mounted a bulb on the PIR switch straight above the chest freezer, so there is always light in the right place when we just go in to grab something from there - open the door, the lights come on, grab pizza, walk out again closing the door and the lights turn themselves off about 5 seconds later.

You could play around with the length of time the PIR switch leaves the lights on, or make sure that you wave an arm around at regular intervals, but that's how I did it. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
baldycyclist

baldycyclist

Über Member
That would work, although it has possible drawbacks.

I've done it slightly differently and, possibly, slightly OTT but I put in a second set of lights with PIR switching and put flouro tubes on the standard switch. My thinking is that there are times, when fettling a set of bearings, for instance, that you don't move around much but you REALLY don't want it to suddenly get dark. If I'm going to spend much time in the garage, I switch on the flouro tubes which don't use much electricity but which do put out a fair amount of light. If, however, I'm just going through the garage, much as your video, when coming home or going out, then I'm always moving around and the PIR lights are all that is needed as they don't go out.

It was fairly straightforward, although I'd recommend using an electrician if you aren't confident (I think you also need certification to even play on your home electrics now), it takes a feed from the current (boom boom!) source up to the PIR switch. I also mounted a bulb on the PIR switch straight above the chest freezer, so there is always light in the right place when we just go in to grab something from there - open the door, the lights come on, grab pizza, walk out again closing the door and the lights turn themselves off about 5 seconds later.

You could play around with the length of time the PIR switch leaves the lights on, or make sure that you wave an arm around at regular intervals, but that's how I did it. :thumbsup:

I think I will consult my local electrician before - might add to the family christmas conversation also!!!

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I have a 'remote control' front door opener. I just beep my 'Thunder horn' as I pull down the drive, and the Missus then opens the front door for me. It never fails because when I arrive home I expect my Dinner within 15 minutes, therefore she will always be in the kitchen and hear my arrival.
Shouldn't one's wife always be in the kitchen ?

Simple way to improve it - have some carbon dioxide bottles ready to spray some dry ice style effects either side of the doorway as it opens :smile:

Top Bottom