Anyone cycled in Crete?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
We're off there next week on holiday for the first time.

I was thinking of hiring a bike (I assume you can there?) for at least a day to keep the old legs ticking over. Anyone cycled there? if so, what are the drivers like? anything I need to be aware of, priorities, right of way etc?

Cheers,

Chris :smile:

gbb

Legendary Member
Not cycled in Crete but been a couple of times. Where are you going ?
Stayed in Stalis (near Malia)...there's a main road goes through the middle and its BUSY. It cuts right along Cretes northern coast, from Agios Nicholaos through Malia, Hersonnisos, Heraklion and on to Chania etc. Not a cycling road. Lots of trucks and cars...not ideal or relaxing cycling.
If you go into the countryside its really quite hilly, bordering mountainous. The problem there is cars and especially the motorcycles fairly hoot along. There are memorials all over the place on the country roads to mark where someone came to grief.

Further west, Chania and Rethymnon seem quieter,funnily enough (and probably flatter) , nowhere near as many memorials at the side of the roads.

That said, i seem to remember most of the hotels did cycle hire so it must be popular.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Not cycled in Crete but been a couple of times. Where are you going ?
Stayed in Stalis (near Malia)...there's a main road goes through the middle and its BUSY. It cuts right along Cretes northern coast, from Agios Nicholaos through Malia, Hersonnisos, Heraklion and on to Chania etc. Not a cycling road. Lots of trucks and cars...not ideal or relaxing cycling.
If you go into the countryside its really quite hilly, bordering mountainous. The problem there is cars and especially the motorcycles fairly hoot along. There are memorials all over the place on the country roads to mark where someone came to grief.

Further west, Chania and Rethymnon seem quieter,funnily enough (and probably flatter) , nowhere near as many memorials at the side of the roads.

That said, i seem to remember most of the hotels did cycle hire so it must be popular.

Many thanks GBB. Tragically, I can't remember the name of the place we'e going to but it's the top of the Island, nearer the eastern side.
I'll check out the roads first then, I seem to remember someone saying that the driving there could be quite "interesting" so I may well give it a miss if it looks traumatic, it's supposed to be a holiday after all!

gbb

Legendary Member
North easterns probably Agios Nicolaos, Malia or Stalis. Hersonissos and Heraklion are more central.
I preferred the north eastern side to the west. Food was better, countryside was more interesting as well.

Norm

I've (motor)cycled there, and it was tanfastic. :smile:

The driving felt no worse than countryside Britain, most were fairly relaxed although that relaxation attitude applied to the rules as much as anything. It is very lumpy in places, and road surfaces can go from smooth tarmac to gravel without warning, and getting away from the main roads was pretty much getting away from everything. Including emergency assistance.

I turned round a couple of times when the road got kore hairy than I wanted to ride, as I was alone and no-one knew where I was.

Stunningly beautiful amazing place, though. #1 on the list of places we'd retire to. :smile:

Davidc

Guru
Crete, and Greece in general has some of the worst driving I've ever come across and is one place I've not cycled because I decided it really was too dangerous. I've cycled in Rome, Turin, Paris, Brussels, Marseilles among others - but never Greece.

There are some very good off road tracks in Crete and good maps of them, montainous but good. Watch out for the quad bikes though! If you like hills, and are happy off road then they're potentially great.I'm a road rider and don't like off road so I haven't tried them by bike, but had good fun on a motor scooter on them.

Norm

Just remembered that I uploaded some video of my (motor)cycling exploits. Not much and very dodgy filming (including dropping the camera about 17 secs in, which still makes me think I crashed) but that's what the roads are like in the hills.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks for that both, from Norms video it looks to have some serious MTB potential :tongue: and the road riding is sounding less and less appealing.

I wonder if I will be allowed to slip out for a few Hours on a hired MTB...

I went to chania for a week a couple of years ago. I didn't do any cycling but while travelling on the bus one day I passed the cretan cycling federation building, which is encouraging. If you're going to do any cycling I would do it on the western end of the island which is less touristy.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I've cycled in north eastern Crete (based in Sisi) and it's hilly, and you can get some barmy farm types who don't care what side of the road they drive on, especially on the many many hairpin bends, so watch out. The main roads with their lack of road markings can be a bit hairy also. Otherwise, it should be a nice time of year (not too hot) for it. Try a ride over to the Lasithi plateau and to a village called Krasi (wine, literally) it's nice. I like Crete.

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

I've just been informed it's Analipsi we're going to.

The are suposed to be into that in Greece!

I think as a rough rule the north is flatter and certainly the bit along from Chania is on a fairly flat plain.

Re busyness - it is very late in their season so will be very quiet an perhaps a bit closed down compared to the summer.

Have cycled in Zante and Corsica (french) and found it so quiet and laid back it is fine. Odd thing on Zante was all the drivers used to bib their horns at horse riders presumably to let them know they were there.

gbb

Legendary Member
I've cycled in north eastern Crete (based in Sisi) and it's hilly, and you can get some barmy farm types who don't care what side of the road they drive on, especially on the many many hairpin bends, so watch out. The main roads with their lack of road markings can be a bit hairy also. Otherwise, it should be a nice time of year (not too hot) for it. Try a ride over to the Lasithi plateau and to a village called Krasi (wine, literally) it's nice. I like Crete.

Indeed, the Lasithi Plateu is a lovely place, i seem to remember Krasi as well, is that the village that is thronging with linen shops ?
As OTH says , Chania/Rethymnon in the northwest is flatter, east of Hersonissos is hilly as you go inland.

Hopefully you'll love Crete Panter, i know i did. It might be a good time to go as well. We went pre main season and found the Cretans very welcoming and relaxed. Conversely, we also went once main season....it's just too busy and everyones a bit frazzled i think.

Top Bottom