Anyone Cycling on your own-what are your routines?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I prefer cycling alone as my speed is my speed, not that of a group. When I've participated in group rides the hazard of slower cyclists or other riders who unexpectedly change their position on the road can be unnerving. Yet I'm never really alone. At every stop there is usually someone to talk to.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I prefer cycling alone as my speed is my speed, not that of a group. When I've participated in group rides the hazard of slower cyclists or other riders who unexpectedly change their position on the road can be unnerving. Yet I'm never really alone. At every stop there is usually someone to talk to.

This is very important - to me at least. But my concern isn't slower riders, quite the contrary! It's why I tend to avoid any informal group rides. It's no fun getting left behind, or having to dig in and put in extra effort to keep up. And I doubt it's much fun having to wait for me (if waiting is what you do - which isn't always the case).

Some groups are properly inclusive and stop to regroup if it gets strung out. The Fridays in particular have an excellent system for this.

This is very important - to me at least. But my concern isn't slower riders, quite the contrary! It's why I tend to avoid any informal group rides. It's no fun getting left behind, or having to dig in and put in extra effort to keep up. And I doubt it's much fun having to wait for me (if waiting is what you do - which isn't always the case).

Some groups are properly inclusive and stop to regroup if it gets strung out. The Fridays in particular have an excellent system for this.

Would mechanical tweeks and slip stream riding help you keep up with the peloton .... for speedier cycling I adjust my pedalling action rather than force of pedalling.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Would mechanical tweeks and slip stream riding help you keep up with the peloton .... for speedier cycling I adjust my pedalling action rather than force of pedalling.

I solve the problem by not getting into a position where I have to ride outside my comfort zone - by riding alone or with well organised groups like the Fridays where the issue doesn't arise.

Obviously, I wasn't being deadly serious, but the one time in my life that I tried to dial 999 I was up on the tops and couldn't get a phone signal... I was lying at the side of the road and slipping into unconsciousness. When I finally came round I gave up and went home! :laugh:

On the plus side, if you'd have had a phone signal you'd have wasted the time of the ambulance service. :okay:

a.twiddler

Veteran
Strangely enough, although I like my own company riding at my own pace it's hard to avoid strangers coming up and talking to to me if I dare to stop for an instant. Not only cyclists but random people. I've been offered peanut butter muffins (not a euphemism) by a woman with a tray of them who crossed the road to offer me some in Kingsley "because you've just come up that hill". Another time I stopped for a break in Wrenbury by the canal lift bridge and I'd barely got off the bike when a woman clutching her windlass asked me how to operate the bridge. At other times I've had responses such as "what kind of contraption is that?" or "is the circus in town?" as well as far friendlier interactions from all ages and genders.

Along the way I've stolidly fixed chains, patched punctures and adjusted gears. So I might delude myself that I'm some kind of a (not so) rugged individualist but I get plenty of conversation along the way. Life was a lot duller (and less comfortable) before I took up recumbenting.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Strangely enough, although I like my own company riding at my own pace it's hard to avoid strangers coming up and talking to to me if I dare to stop for an instant. Not only cyclists but random people. I've been offered peanut butter muffins (not a euphemism) by a woman with a tray of them who crossed the road to offer me some in Kingsley "because you've just come up that hill". Another time I stopped for a break in Wrenbury by the canal lift bridge and I'd barely got off the bike when a woman clutching her windlass asked me how to operate the bridge. At other times I've had responses such as "what kind of contraption is that?" or "is the circus in town?" as well as far friendlier interactions from all ages and genders.

Along the way I've stolidly fixed chains, patched punctures and adjusted gears. So I might delude myself that I'm some kind of a (not so) rugged individualist but I get plenty of conversation along the way. Life was a lot duller (and less comfortable) before I took up recumbenting.

It sounds as if a recumbent may be a good alternative to speed dating?, perhaps, a business opportunity for you there? ;)

a.twiddler

Veteran
An 88" babe magnet. Who'da thought it? Not so much speed, more like sloth dating if my recent average speeds are anything to go by.

Top Bottom