Anyone Cycling on your own-what are your routines?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sounds very familiar, I'm a particular fan of a Sunday sunrise ride, stepping outside in air that cool & fresh; there's something glorious about the light at that time of day. The sun peeps over the horizon and pours liquid rose/gold over the landscape, it feels like the entire world is your own private playground, and there's none of the usual daytime traffic.
It's always a solo ride, and I usually have a route in mind but it's only a guide.

Missed it last weekend. Definitely going out this weekend.

Wonderful description of the inspiring sight and feel of a Sunday sunrise.

My routine: (nearly always ride solo) -ride somewhere nice for a coffee. Sit and think. Ride somewhere else nice. Sit and think some more. Ride home. Clean bike. Sit and think about riding. Rinse and repeat…:smile:
You do a lot of thinking.

Fredo76

Über Member
There are three ways out of my neighborhood, two flat and one up a steep hill. The two flat ones combine to make a pleasant short ride on one-and-a-half-lane roads, off the highway. One routine is to do that loop, shirtless, in the heat of the day, in running shorts and shoes w/o socks, working on my tan, like Zonker Harris. That's my default, gotta do it ride, with more clothing in the winter. From either flat route I can go further, on one of several out-and-back routes or loops, and often do. The third way out, up the steep hill, leads to more hills and more challenging outings. I have to be feeling good, or be especially determined, to take that way, but I've never regretted it when I did.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Especially if going mountain biking solo worth having some sort of tracker and sending texts now and then. My wife knows where I am going and how long it should take.

Problem is that that interrupts the flow of the solo ride. Far better to ride well within your capabilities and avoid the accident to start with, rather than rely on technology to get you out of it, when knocked unconscious. Trackers also fail which causes unnecessary worry.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Problem is that that interrupts the flow of the solo ride. Far better to ride well within your capabilities and avoid the accident to start with, rather than rely on technology to get you out of it, when knocked unconscious. Trackers also fail which causes unnecessary worry.

I send my wife regular texts with my ETA. It doesn't really interrupt my flow, unless I happen to get muddled and try to do it during a wee stop.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
And what happens when you are miles from having a signal...? Are you lying injured at the side of the road somewhere, or just in a reception black spot? :whistle:

Kajjal

Guru

I am too old now to be brave on a mountain bike like in my twenties, the cake shops call too much 😁

ColinJ

Ah, here comes @ColinJ . Cyclechat's ray of sunshine and optimism.
You southerners may always get a phone signal but up here it drops out regularly on many interesting hilltops and valleys. Anybody tracking a cyclist could be tricked into thinking that their partner had been abducted by aliens or squidged by a farmer towing a sheep trailer! :laugh:

What satellite phone for cycling? :whistle:

ColinJ

Me: Look at the nice new derailleur I've fitted to my bike
@ColinJ : No good to you if you chain breaks
Me: But I have a chain tool and a spare split link
@ColinJ : Not much use to you in a Zombie apocalypse. We get them all the time up North.

Obviously, I wasn't being deadly serious, but the one time in my life that I tried to dial 999 I was up on the tops and couldn't get a phone signal... I was lying at the side of the road and slipping into unconsciousness. When I finally came round I gave up and went home! :laugh:

Top Bottom