Anyone Cycling on your own-what are your routines?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Shame on you , it's great just following your nose

It is exceedingly rare that I don't know precisely where I am going before I set off, even if I am just doing a local ride.

Once or twice I have been forced to reroute - one notable example being when I arrived at my chosen road near Nottingham to discover that it didn't exist any more - they were busy building some major new roads there!

I was riding back from Coventry to Hebden Bridge once and found Snake Pass closed to traffic. It is too long a climb to risk going up to see if I could find my way through so I detoured via Strines Moor.

I usually do what I set out to do, but illness, lack of energy, and bike failure have caused me to cut a few rides short over the years.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Interesting to see people's thoughts

For me I kinda need someone to ride with for the motivation to get out and keep going, unless it's the commute which varies between 5 to 15 miles depending on which way I fancy home, I've about 5 variations of a similar route.
On the odd occasions I go alone it'll usually be around 20 to 30 miles instead of the usual 60 to 80 just to say I've been out and is usually when shifts haven't matched up my regular riding mate for a few weeks.
I always like a planned route, even when I know where I'm going.

This question is aimed at anyone that tends to cycle alone, as it is what I do. When I go out on the bike I tend to do the same route, occasionally varying slightly to get to the same destination.

If I reach my monthly mileage target before the month end, I do what I call 'top up' rides. These top ups are shorter distances but with more focus on hills, so almost like an HIT ride. I find these take more effort/energy. Harder on the cardio side for sure.

So, without the company/influence etc from fellow riders, what is your cycling routine like?

Once I started working from home my largest amount of monthly miles disappeared, and I've found it hard to maintain motivation to do alternative rides. As my fitness dropped I became less motivated.

I've got a couple of local loops, 15 miles ish, I tend to stick to now. I also have my favourite MTB spots for when I go offroad but that's much rarer now. I've got ride memories of epic 100+ mile rides but I quake at the thought of trying that now.

So in answer, my routine has died and I've not replaced it, I really should :okay:

Once I started working from home my largest amount of monthly miles disappeared, and I've found it hard to maintain motivation to do alternative rides. As my fitness dropped I became less motivated.

I've got a couple of local loops, 15 miles ish, I tend to stick to now. I also have my favourite MTB spots for when I go offroad but that's much rarer now. I've got ride memories of epic 100+ mile rides but I quake at the thought of trying that now.

So in answer, my routine has died and I've not replaced it, I really should :okay:

Not to late to get it back.

I WFH now too - often sneak in the odd lunchtime 10 to replace my commute.

All uphill

Still rolling along

Google suggests you have some great destinations in your area - if you want to get the spirit of adventure going I'd suggest picking one of them, choosing a date and then going for it.

Google suggests you have some great destinations in your area - if you want to get the spirit of adventure going I'd suggest picking one of them, choosing a date and then going for it.

It does, it's just me getting out and doing it:okay:

I've no excuse, it's literally laziness. I spent £550 pre Christmas getting bikes serviced and rebuilt to motivate me. I think it's about time I benefited from that spending.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Check the weather and wind, pick a direction, give hopelessly optimistic return time and off I go.

ColinJ

This is quite a revealing subject!

I don't like surprises and I like to be in control of my destiny so I plan in great detail. I went down to Devon with a friend and planned all of our routes.

She wanted to do a different ride to me one day though so she did her own thing. When she got back she described her route to me (from Crediton to Budleigh Salterton via Exeter and Otterton, and back via Exmouth). She didn't have paper maps and doesn't use a bike GPS so I wondered how she had navigated. I was somewhat surprised by her answer...

She tells Google Maps where she wants to go, switches voice prompts on, and then stuffs her smartphone down her cleavage! She said that several people she passed were very startled when her breasts apparently told them to turn left in 100 yards! :laugh:

Sharky

Guru
This is quite a revealing subject!

I don't like surprises and I like to be in control of my destiny so I plan in great detail. I went down to Devon with a friend and planned all of our routes.

She wanted to do a different ride to me one day though so she did her own thing. When she got back she described her route to me (from Crediton to Budleigh Salterton via Exeter and Otterton, and back via Exmouth). She didn't have paper maps and doesn't use a bike GPS so I wondered how she had navigated. I was somewhat surprised by her answer...

She tells Google Maps where she wants to go, switches voice prompts on, and then stuffs her smartphone down her cleavage! She said that several people she passed were very startled when her breasts apparently told them to turn left in 100 yards! :laugh:

I hope Google didn't tell her to bare left.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Most of my rides are variations of the same handful of circular routes, so knowing where I'm going isn't an issue. The weather forecast and weather radar sites are always checked before departing to see what the wind & rain situation is going to be like for the next few hours. Imminent rain or gusty winds result in my ride being postponed until conditions improve.
What does vary is the bike I use, depending on whether I'm going to mainly stick to tarmac roads or do a mixture of roads and gravel. If mainly tarmac, the Raleigh Pioneer or maybe even the Royal tourer usually comes out. If more gravel then I take my Raleigh MTB.
If my ride is going to incorporate a utility errand like picking up a package or getting a few shopping items where the bike has to be left unattended, then I don't take either my best Pioneer or anything I own with a 531 frame. Any ride for the express purpose of, or including a pub visit is always done on a hack bike.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Most of my rides are variations of the same handful of circular routes, so knowing where I'm going isn't an issue. The weather forecast and weather radar sites are always checked before departing to see what the wind & rain situation is going to be like for the next few hours. Imminent rain or gusty winds result in my ride being postponed until conditions improve.

Ah yes - the weather! :whistle:

I was planning to do a long hilly ride today but the forecast is for blustery winds which would spoil the ride for me. Sunny though, so I will still go out but for less than 2 hours rather than 6-8.

Thunderstorms are said to be possible tomorrow so no long ride then either. I will check last-minute forecasts (and look up at the sky!) to see if there is a safe window of opportunity for a shorter ride.

Monday is currently looking a better bet but I will check on Sunday night and again on Monday morning before deciding whether to go ahead.

Top Bottom