Anyone Cycling on your own-what are your routines?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I will check last-minute forecasts (and look up at the sky!) to see if there is a safe window of opportunity for a shorter ride.

I use the netweather radar site for this. If you run the rainfall radar animation function it shows you the progress of any rain over the previous two hour timeframe. You can use that to judge how long a clear dry interlude will last and whether it's enough to be able to go for a ride and get back home without getting drenched!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I tend to just pick a direction and go where the whim takes me.

Exactly

Sharky

Guru
I've been living more or less the same area for more than 50 years. My solo routes have hardly changed in all those years. But there are one or two options along the way for taking in a particularly hilly route or a slightly longer route. Without any predetermined plan, I find myself debating in my head - should I go left, straight on, left, straight on. I can be inches from the junction before making my mind up.

winjim

Smash the cistern
The constraints of parenting mean I need to be able to guarantee I'll be back at a set time so I tend to stick to short, set routes. Back when I had more time on my hands I would just pile out into the Peak District and get lost for a bit. I found that going on a few sportives let me know about some good routes and roads, and some of the local clubs have GPS routes on their website that are handy to follow.

I used to have a local very hilly regular route back when I was messing around with Strava segments but I can't be bothered with all that now, I just like to get out for a bit.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
It's strange how my ideas have changed down the years. When I first got into cycling, my idea of a day out was to ride to what we now refer to as a tourist attraction, places up to around 50 miles from home. It was the destination that was important to me, the ride was simply transportation using the most direct route. This went on until I married and then the bike was simply for commuting. Eventually, for whatever reason I stopped cycling altogether until I retired and made one of the better decisions in my life. I bought a (cheap) bike with the intention of going for the odd ride occasionally. This developed into an interest in cycling for its own sake, though sadly I have never recovered anything like the fitness that I enjoyed in my youth. When I take one of my bikes out nowadays I generally follow one of a few routes that I use on a regular basis, venturing further afield from time to time. I often ride with another guy of similar vintage to me but he is only interested in how far he can ride and gets very twitchy if he can't achieve his targets. As for me when riding solo, distance never comes into it, I tend to take sheltered country lanes stopping often to take photos or just to admire the view. I have even been known to stop for a nap at times.

rivers

How far can I go?
When out on my own, I just ride. Sometimes I'm on a route I know where I don't need to follow my GPS. Sometimes it's an unknown, but pre-planned route, and sometimes it's what I like to call a magical mystery tour- where I set off in a general direction and just wing it. I might have a pre-planned cafe/pub stop or will stop when something looks good. It just depends. I've done a few multi-day trips on my own as well. I like those because I do what I want. If I'm venturing far from home, it's always a pre-planned route and I know what towns/villages/hamlets I'm stopping in for food and what my destination is for the day. But other than that, my day is flexible. I ride at whatever pace I want, stop and take photos, do a bit of sightseeing, wild swimming, and just enjoy my own company.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
I like set distances and relative time frames, so I usually ride different combinations of my memorized 5, 10 & 15 miles routes. Living in a major metropolis of @ 81k people, I have memorized a few routes that take me through quiet, less busy, less car-stuffed residential areas that eventually take me to a beautiful trail and/or paved parkway through a state park (single lanes, double yellow lines, with a 30mph speed limit). Drivers are quite considerate and the ride feels safe. Often see deer often along the way, watching life go by.

I don’t take rides less then 10 miles, but the five mile route let’s me as on just a bit more now and then. I’m not a long distance rider, so If I ride 20mi one day, I usually take the next day off.

I always ride alone and I don’t usually ride for destination, just for fun. I don’t feel comfortable locking my bike(s) up many places, so just like when my wife and I wold go sailing on our 16.5’ sailboat, it’s about the journey and not the destination.

I ride during nice weather only, which is fairly easy to foresee on the east coast the U.S., and limit my riding to days when the temps are between 4° & 32° (40°F & 90°F).

Now that I am 66 years old, I find if I ride when it is extremely hot outside, even if I am in the shade most of the time, staying hydrated, and enjoying a breeze, when I get home I often get headaches for 1 to 2 hours. So, I will just have to avoid the more extreme temperatures. As for cold, weather riding, when my toes get really chilly and my eyes and nose are watering constantly, it’s just not as much fun for me. But cold weather is certainly easier to ride in than extreme heats!

(I have read many tales on CC of riding in much colder & hotter temperatures, but that is not for me. So more power to all of you super beings!)

I love music. Almost every kind of music. Rock, reggae, classical, disco, folk, dub, punk, instrumental… Etc. I find that riding a bike solo and enjoying various types of music is such a great combination. Obviously it cannot be done safely with earbuds or headphones, but about a year or so ago I bought a small, great sounding bluetooth music box only 4”x4” that straps to my flat handlebars. It pairs with my phone and allows me to stream music while riding. Whether it’s the Grateful Dead, Bob Marley, the Clash, The Who, Jethro Tull, or Pavarotti, I can choose whatever fits my mood. My 5:30am rides (all summer) are enjoyed only with the sounds of natures on the backdrop of the rare sound of silence in a big city. But other times it’s just such a great combination. Anyone else find riding with music an enjoyable combination?

On solo rides, with just your own thoughts and the tunes of your choice, life is grand!

I sometimes wish I could develop a ride routine. There is so much going on in my life at the moment that I just try to get out when I can, sometimes three times a week, sometimes none. No route plans other than N,E or W. (can't do S because of the sea).
One sort of routine is that I won't set out in the rain and rides have to be less than three hours not to eat too much into my day.

I sometimes wish I could develop a ride routine. There is so much going on in my life at the moment that I just try to get out when I can, sometimes three times a week, sometimes none. No route plans other than N,E or W. (can't do S because of the sea).
One sort of routine is that I won't set out in the rain and rides have to be less than three hours not to eat too much into my day.
I recently realised that one of my interests was 'demanding' more of my time than I wanted to give to it.

I persevered, but eventually the situation began to make me unhappy. I knew that I needed to take desisive action, and that is exactly what I did.

There is only 24 hrs in a day. We have to make changes some times if possible. In my case it was possible, but I only have myself to please.

I recently realised that one of my interests was 'demanding' more of my time than I wanted to give to it.

I persevered, but eventually the situation began to make me unhappy. I knew that I needed to take desisive action, and that is exactly what I did.

There is only 24 hrs in a day. We have to make changes some times if possible. In my case it was possible, but I only have myself to please.

I agree and one of the interests I have limited my time on is cycling. The other stuff is non-negotiable.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I've hardly cycled at all over the last few years due to other demands, it's only recently that I've been able to get out at all and for the time being only for a couple of hours on a Sunday morning. That's life for you.

Sounds very familiar, I'm a particular fan of a Sunday sunrise ride, stepping outside in air that cool & fresh; there's something glorious about the light at that time of day. The sun peeps over the horizon and pours liquid rose/gold over the landscape, it feels like the entire world is your own private playground, and there's none of the usual daytime traffic.
It's always a solo ride, and I usually have a route in mind but it's only a guide.

Missed it last weekend. Definitely going out this weekend.

Top Bottom