Anyone do BIG SHIP cruises ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
ive done 2 cruises with 2 different companies........

cruise 1 was aboard the Eclipse by Celebrity around the Med for 16 days and was scorching hot and a fabulous break, seeing many different countries

cruise 2 was aboard the Brittania by P&O another fabulous trip for 12 days around the canaries and portugal.........

both cruises i had a balcony cabin so i could sit in the sun outside and watch the sea go by or i could choose to go up onto the top decks and the sun lounger warfare that all foreign holidays have. All food and drinks on both cruises was free, with the chance to use different restaurants for an upcharge.

would i go again, damn right i would...for me its the ultimate in holiday comfort with superb room service, cabins, cleanliness and a chance to see numerous countries over a few days and chill in the sun at sea.......the were plenty of families on board, but few young children and both ships had adult only pools and sunbathing areas, if you wanted a child free experience.

The entertainment on both cruises were spectacular from their own onboard entertainment crew or by the many celebrity entertainers on the cruise circuit.

I do find the comments about sailing petri dishes quite funny, especially as back in the 80/90s people were afraid to go on holidays to spain/france/portugal/greece/italy etc etc due to the phrase Deli belly........now you cant stop people going to these places, even in a pandemic they still want to travel abroad and spread the virus.

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
And I can't walk on water.
I've been praying to the wrong man all this time :blush:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Used to take the ferry to Bilbao or Santander which was a night on board. It was part of the holiday but one night was plenty. Some used to do the direct return for a mini cruise. Not sure if the ferry isn't faster now ............

I did a Med cruise on a little cruise ship (Island Escape?) we watched all the sad looking people getting on and off every day, don't know why they went off! The other guests who stayed local all appeared to have a great time, smiling going off and getting back on. Those staying on board seemed to like to get full value from all inclusive... The cycling available every day was great, especially Rome, and cycling in Naples in traffic was quite unforgettable and that was just us two and the guide, most rides had the off duty crew (show cast mostly) and great fun. The best bit was cruising into Mahon and just about having room to turn around to get back out!
We sadly missed the day at sea and all the 'behind the scenes tours' as we lay very still getting our sea legs, the behind the scenes tours are actually a good day and very rarely busy so very up close.
Wouldn't do another sea cruise, I'd quite like to boat and bike on Euro rivers as they are tiny little boats.

I have taken the post boat round Norway to the North Cape. I guess there's a few hundred passengers on there. Amazing scenery and there's no other way to see it. And you do get to see the Northern Lights.

But the big ships with all the entertainment ? No ta.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Not done any but do like the idea of seeing the world by boat (with bike of course ^_^). Not cruising, but would be good to see more longer distance ferries like the Santander route. I'd love the Harwich to Esbjerg route to come back.

rivers

How far can I go?
I spent 3.5 years working on cruise ships. I've cruised as a passenger once (with my aunts, in a guest cabin, it had a balcony), and as a "crew guest" countless times (to visit my wife while she was on contract- crew cabin so had access to all guest and crew areas). Fun to work on for awhile, but not my idea of a holiday- even when visiting the wife.

Cruises to artic and antarctic are worth it as it would be cost prohibitive to go on your own. Spectacular landscape. I gather it is a whole different crowd from the normal cruises. It is in the bucket list. Not interested in food, onboard entertainment, water slide, motivational speakers, yoga, pilates, cooking lessons, hot tub etc. Will bring along decent camera equipment etc. Pre-read will be wildlife, land formation, currents, etc.

Baldy

Über Member
Not done any but do like the idea of seeing the world by boat (with bike of course ^_^). Not cruising, but would be good to see more longer distance ferries like the Santander route. I'd love the Harwich to Esbjerg route to come back.
And Newcastle - Bergan route.

Top Bottom