anyone done any cycle training courses?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bubbles3

I don't mean as an instructor, i mean just as a way to improve your own cycling ability. I inquired about it last week and was to call the instructor back but lost my bottle.

Just wondered if anyone has tried it and found it helpful.

Drago

Legendary Member
I did 2 before I quali'd as an instructor myself.

What sort of course are you considering?

OP
OP
bubbles3

bubbles3

i was just looking to improve my cycling or maybe just my confidence in my cycling while dealing with things like large roundabouts, changing lanes on dual carriageway when needing to turn right, downhill right hand turns. That sort of thing. Do you think a course would help?

OP
OP
bubbles3

bubbles3

i've been riding for about 2 years but it's mostly been on rural country roads were it's pretty quiet. Since Sept i've been commuting and it has highlighted the weakness. Not confident at all on dual carriageway on approach to small roundabouts and on way home i've been known to ride round the large roundabout twice before turning off.:ohmy:so not good at all there. I could always take the short way home which is the first turn off the roundabout, but that spoils the ride home. in need of help do you think?!

Drago

Legendary Member
You've done alright so far, so top marks there. It would do no harm at worst, and at best could save your life, so go for it.

What sort of course were you looking at?

OP
OP
bubbles3

bubbles3

i e mailled them to see what they did, but they asked me to call them to discuss what i was looking for. But i thought they might think i was being stupid. so backed out of the phone call. I know they do one on one training.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Perhaps not what you had in mind, but yes I have:

cert%2520anne.JPG

Seriously though, if it's just some sort of confidence booster you need then CTC should be able to help. Do you drive a car? If so, then try and adapt what you already know with regards to mirror-signal-position-speed-gear, and use the same principles while cycling. Be assertive but not aggressive (and other such gems from the driving instructors handbook that I last read 9 years ago prior to failing to qualify as an instructor!).

snorri

Legendary Member
Do you think a course would help?

I think a training course would help, if nothing else it would boost your self confidence, it sounds as if you may be lacking in that respect.;)
Regarding where to get the training, I'm not so sure. Can you do some asking around to get a bit of background on those offering training in your locality? You would want to be sure the instructor is trained to a nationally recognised standard.
There is some info here.... http://www.ctc.org.uk/training

OP
OP
bubbles3

bubbles3

The ones i contacted are definately ctc involved as they do instructor courses as well. So at least i know they are up to the national standard. Just need to pluck up the courage.

snorri

Legendary Member
The ones i contacted are definately ctc involved as they do instructor courses as well. So at least i know they are up to the national standard. Just need to pluck up the courage.
Go for it then!
They will no doubt ask what stage you are at and what you want to gain from the training. You tell them you have been cycling happily on rural roads but lack experience of urban roads and wish to be able to cycle confidently in urban traffic conditions. Then they can tailor the training to suit your needs.
Don't forget to post a picture of your Certificate of Competence on the forum when your training session ends.:smile:

billy1561

BB wrecker
I learned quite a bit from riding with a local club on their saturday morning 'skills' ride. Showed the benefit of riding in a group and taught me road handling skills and such.

Crankarm

Guru
Why bother, none of us need to do cycle training as how hard can it be to get on a bike and ride? As most of us are perfect drivers we make perfect cyclists.

Top Bottom