Anyone done the Yorkshire wolds cycle challenge?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NeilnrLincoln

Hi.
I've just booked in myself & my 15yr old lad to do the Yorkshire wolds cycle challenge next July (15th & 16th).
Has anyone on here done it before? Any tips or advice? I must admit I'm a bit scared now, it's 144 miles over 2 days, and I guess pretty hilly terrain. My longest rides up to now have been around 40 miles, and mostly pretty flat as I live in Lincolnshire.
I guess there's plenty of time to put more miles in beforehand & it's not a race so we should be ok if we pace ourselves.
Cheers.
Neil.

Did it 3 years ago, I presume you are doing it with Ryedale? There are a couple of short sharp hills depending on the route direction but at around 2000m over 250km it is relatively flat if a little undulating, split over 2 days your only worry is your alcohol consumption on the saturday night and getting kip, as all your gear is transported for you it is quite a relaxing affair.

I personally had some issues with some (imo) over zealous marshalling, they have people posted at various intersections and junctions, and like you to use the cycle path, in one instance the guy actually jumped into the middle of the road and tried to physically force me onto a narrow footpath, because it was the official cycle route, rather than stay on the adjacent road. Other than that the food and drink is well organised and relatively cheap and the atmosphere good.

The route itself as a couple of 'off road' sections that are easily avoided and bypassed if you are on 23/25mm tyres and the roads and paths where well maintained in the main.

Strava sections here and here

As for training I would maintain your winter fitness and when the weather allows get out and one week up your mileage, the next week ride a fair distance sat/ sun back to back, and repeat until you are comfortable doing 100 miles in one hit, doing back to back 75 miles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NeilnrLincoln

NeilnrLincoln

That sounds reassuring, thanks. Looking at your strava I think it's running the other way round this year as it's going anti-clockwise. I'll not be drinking a great deal as I'm going with my lad.
We'll be on either our hybrids or mtb's (with slick tyres fitted) so the offroad sections wont be a problem.
2000m of climbing sounds huge (to someone nr Lincoln), but I guess over 250k it shouldn't be too serious.

That sounds reassuring, thanks. Looking at your strava I think it's running the other way round this year as it's going anti-clockwise. I'll not be drinking a great deal as I'm going with my lad.
We'll be on either our hybrids or mtb's (with slick tyres fitted) so the offroad sections wont be a problem.
2000m of climbing sounds huge (to someone nr Lincoln), but I guess over 250k it shouldn't be too serious.

No it will be the same, we went anti-clockwise.

I would also say take some earplugs if you are a light sleeper :smile:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
We did it in October, day one Pocklington to Bridlington 72 miles, 4,500ft of Climbing. Day 2 Bridlington via Beverley back to Pocklington 66 miles,2,800ft of Climing. We rode in a small group of 7, there are a couple of steep but short climbs on day one, one guy struggled a bit and walked but this was really due to the largest cog on his cassette being a 25T so you'll be fine using your MTB gearing.
There is one short section of off road which I cycled without issue, others in the group walked this short section.
Overall it was a fantastic 2 days, a lot of small narrow roads with little traffic and some lovely scenery and it's also worth mentioning a very nice Cycle cafe in the centre of Beverley which I think was called Velo.

Top Bottom