Anyone eat Phall curry.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Just something that cropped up on the 'old farts' thread.
The hottest I can enjoy is Jalfreizee.
A friend of mine, in a restaurant will ask for "Phall, and make it hot". He doesn't bat an eyelid.....just shovels it down and enjoys it.
We are all so different.

Jody

Stubborn git
Comparable pain to my home made bonnet hot sauce.

Never again

Madras or Vindaloo is about my level

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
My local Thai takeaway's red curry is delicious but not quite hot enough to compare with one that's made for a Thai palate, so I once made the mistake of asking them to make it a bit hotter for me.
It came absolutely bloody packed with sliced red chillies and I could only get through half of it before giving up in pain. I bet they said "Ah, feeling brave are we? It's hot that you want is it? Bet we can make sure you'll not ask again".
And I haven't.

Phall doesn't really interest me, I really like spicy food but that dish just seems to be an invention designed to appeal to laddish bravado mainly. Like those pepper eating competitions at festivals. (Which I love watching, but am not silly enough to take part in). :laugh:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
To me the very hot curries are tasteless. I’d muc rather have something milder with more flavour.

This.
Hottest I will have is Madras hot. Anything hotter then that and there's no point. And I do like my hot food. Just not stupidly hot.

Learnt something today - never heard of Phall curry until now. Always thought it was misspelt and meant to be dhall curry.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Never tried it - I don't do well in the curry house machismo stakes, topping out at a madras or similar. One question though - how are we pronouncing "phall"? I know the common pronunciation is "fahl" but I have heard it said "pahl", since the language from whence it came doesn't treat the "ph" as an "f". See, for example, Bhophal.

si_c

Guru
This.
Hottest I will have is Madras hot. Anything hotter then that and there's no point. And I do like my hot food. Just not stupidly hot.

Done well a hot curry does add distinctive flavours into the curry, I've eaten hotter curries but my go to is a Madras for much the same reason as you, a balance between flavour and heat. I do think there's a certain amount of d^*£ swinging involved in eating a Phall.

Top Bottom