Anyone eat Phall curry.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
No, I like to be able to taste what I eat, not kill my tastebuds

The good news is chilli doesn't damage your taste buds.

bruce1530

Guru
In a local Indian takeaway - I was reasonably friendly with the owner. A guy came in, "Do you do Phall?", "Yes., if that's what you want".

Owner made it, handed it over, said "enjoy".

As the guy left the shop, the owner said to me "Daft *****, I wouldn't touch that..."

Adam4868

Guru
I love hot/spicy food.I eat Phall at my local Indian but not really when I dont know the resteraunt.Found that quite a few just bung loads of chilli powder in and it's nothing like what a Phall should be.Same with Thai which is where I've had some of the spiciest food I've eaten !

PK99

Legendary Member
1970's Home of the hottest biryani!

1665434547739.png

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I was jet-lagged in Bangalore four years ago, turned up at the hotel restaurant, and chose a dish with a pleasant description. After two mouthfuls, I was defeated. The waiters were mortified but I tried to explain that it was nothing to do with the skill of the chefs.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Bold simple flavours can make a great dish, but it takes a symphony of delicate flavours to make an exceptional dish.
And chilli can just drown everything else out.

I've eaten plenty of hot thai food but in a curry house won't go hotter than a 'Madras'.
I just prefer more flavour over heat, or at most a balance.

I wonder if flavour and heat perception differ from person to person. All of my life I've not been able to bear whisky, ouzo, grappa, peanuts, hazelnuts, cashews, baked beans, and many other flavours. Could it be that some of us are hyper tasters, and the chilli lovers are hypo tasters?

Adam4868

Guru
Thing about hot/spicy curries is as far as Indian is concerned it's more a English thing.Spent a considerable time traveling India and most of the food you'll find it's pretty bland and stodgy.Dall,Lentils, Potatoes etc.Vindaloo curries,traditionally Pork are usually to the south/Goa even then it wouldn't usually be that spicy.
Thai on the other hand has a lot more heat,one of my favourite dishes is Som Tam a spicy papaya salad,which can be made incredibly hot ! It's not a bravado thing as I genuinely love spicy.Not even lunch time and I'm hungry now.

PK99

Legendary Member
Legendary! I don't remember the biryani as being particularly hot, just great value and huge portions. Half biryani 25p, full portion 45p. You needed to fast before tackling a full portion and joined a select club if you cleared your plate.:hungry:

We frequented the Palace, an offshoot clone after a falling out between the owners of the Plaza. More convenient from Owens Park.

Mild Hot Killer and Suicide sauces.

Plus Special, invented for a group of us who wanted hotter than Suicide. Extra cardamom and other spices in addition to extra chilli heat.
3rd year uni. 1976/7

Top Bottom