Anyone else a fan of 'Light Classical' music?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Being of a certain age, I was brought up to the sounds of Ronald Binge, Eric Coates, Leroy Anderson et al.
Growing up in the 60s and 70s, I naturally gravitated towards Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, King Crimson etc. In the 80s and 90s I was a big fan of Deacon Blue, Simple Minds, Tears for Fears etc.
Somehow, however unfashionable it might seem to be, I could never shake off my affection for the light music that surrounded me in my childhood.
'Elizabethan Serenade' takes me straight back to the 50s everytime I hear it.
Anyone else enjoy this genre?
What are your favourites?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIgiJuhPPH7d5pzSzQuZ4O8aaZZkGJIW_

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm not particularly into it, but I dig certain classical music. Alas, only the proper stuff like Ludwig Van, Bach and Vivaldi.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Oh dear... No option but to sound like a real oldie here!

My "era" was the sixties, so, quite a fan of Motown, Bob Dylan, Beatles, Rolling Stones.... etc, but, I quite like much of the "popular" classical stuff, such as found on Classic FM. Don't know enough about Classical Music to express an opinion as to "favourites".

Just cannot get on with "hip-hop", "rap" and all this "boom-boom" stuff often heard from passing cars. If it is that loud outside the car, what on earth is it like inside the car?

Just off to my rocking chair and slippers.....

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Light music has its place: supporting TV and radio programs. Little of it stands on its own (for me, anyway).

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I like both kinds of music, country and western.

Very catholic tastes, if they play it on Classic FM or Radio Three, or show it on SkyArts, et cetera I'll happily listen or have it as the soundtrack to my day.

Davos87

Guru
Apologies if I have hijacked the thread a bit but if possible tune into Classic Fm over lunchtime on 25th December where they play the nations 30 favourite carols.
Festive overdrive and the perfect accompaniment to your Christmas Day celebrations. Must listen in our house whilst mixing the yorkshires with a glass of something on the worktop.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Cant claim to be a fan but do really enjoy some of the better known pieces eg 1822 overture, Belshazars feast and Planet Suite (spelling).
Like @BoldonLad I am a child of the 60s and as a lad worked in Liverpool so enjoyed the Mersey (pronounced Mirsey) sound. Bob Dylan?? BRILLIANT.
I was heavily into the Stones.

Top Bottom