Anyone else aiming for a more relaxed commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clf

I would love to see more of these around, I really don't think the lycra, high viz, helmets, carbon framed aero lot do cycling any favours at all really, normalising it is the way to go.

OP
OP
humboldt

humboldt

You did the right thing getting the 7 speed especially if you ride around Muswell Hill or Ally Pally!
Yes, think the 3 speed Shimano is considered a bit more bombproof but I definitely wanted a bit more range and some lower gears for the hills and for if I wanted to cart some groceries home/bring back a haul of veg from Ally Pally market.
Seat looks nice and comfy.
This is one thing I'm going to try for a few weeks and change if I don't like it; it's possible it'll be too wide. It suits the bike and the riding position but if my thighs are rubbing on it I'll sell it on and try something else as I don't want to be wearing out my trousers too quickly.

Anyone know if the inbuilt locks for the rear wheel you can see on this are reasonably secure? Will be nice to just have to put a decent D lock around the frame and possibly stick a smaller one on the front wheel so nobody wanders off with that.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Anyone know if the inbuilt locks for the rear wheel you can see on this are reasonably secure? Will be nice to just have to put a decent D lock around the frame and possibly stick a smaller one on the front wheel so nobody wanders off with that.
It only says "ABUS high security lock (class 8)" so it's hard to know whether it's a model which has been defeated (some Axa ones definitely have). In general, the type is pretty secure, as proximity to the wheel makes it difficult to get bolt cutters or a bottle jack onto it in the right way. It's still vulnerable to power tools, but again the wheel being nearby helps as it increases the risk that they'll bust the wheel as well as the lock, so most other bikes locked nearby will probably be more attractive targets. The ones without plug-in cables are IMO not much good as a sole lock in the UK because there's no way to secure it to a parking stand (or a pillar or fence or even a tree).

I'd have few qualms about putting a D lock around frame, front wheel and stand and leaving the ring lock to secure the rear wheel. However, I removed mine because when the wheel is moved back a bit to tension a slightly longer chain on a larger sprocket, it left the lock inoperable due to conflict with the rim and there wasn't any obvious way to adjust the lock position - but that was an OEM own-brand lock. Locks like ABUS ones might have more adjustment possible, as they have to fit different bikes.

keithmac

Guru
I bought a suspension seat ppst for mine, Suntour NCX.

Just takes the jar out of big potholes, 38c tyres iirc and don't have a lot of give!.

alicat

Legendary Member
If you can get an upgrade to one with a plug-in cable that should be enough

https://www.dutchbikebits.com/axa-defender-wheel-lock

https://www.dutchbikebits.com/axa-rld-rle-plugin-cable

I find the type of bike acts as a deterrent. I frequently come back to my bike (battered Carradice saddlebag, front basket, skirtguard, full chainguard) and find the key still in the dutch lock even without the cable in use. I just content myself with the thought that there aren't many thieves in my area with good taste.

mjr

I bought a suspension seat ppst for mine, Suntour NCX.

Just takes the jar out of big potholes, 38c tyres iirc and don't have a lot of give!.
Sprung saddle and 38s not enough? Must be a moonscape near you, or very hard tyres (Armadillos, M+, that sort of thing).

I find the type of bike acts as a deterrent. I frequently come back to my bike (battered Carradice saddlebag, front basket, skirtguard, full chainguard) and find the key still in the dutch lock even without the cable in use. I just content myself with the thought that there aren't many thieves in my area with good taste.
The racks here are more than half-full of similar bikes (including the poor clones with derailleurs) so it must be your area that sucks ;) The main way that my bike might deter any thief is anyone shorter would risk doing themselves several sorts of mischief on the very high top tube! :eek: xx(

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I find the type of bike acts as a deterrent.

Only up to a point. There's casual thieving pond life junkies out there - and there's professionals who nick bikes full-time as a living. The casuals are looking for something shiny and easy to sell round the corner in the local pub no questions asked for a quick cash fix, so that means a modern MTB or road bike. They are unlikely to be too impressed with an old-school 28" roadster or realise the saddle alone costs as much as a BSO. However, someone who knows what it is, and the fact it's got a high quality frame, will realise it's secondhand value is at least as much as a new cheap hybrid. They are the ones you have to guard against. The only bike I will leave on the street in London has a secondhand value of about a Tenner, all my other bikes are only used where they are not left unattended outside.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Why did you buy a dutch bike from Sweden

They are popular in Denmark.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Why did you buy a dutch bike from Sweden

They are popular in Denmark.

He didn't buy a Dutch bike at all. The bike was of Swedish origin! What he actually bought was a traditional 28" wheel Roadster bike, so let's not be lazy and call them "Dutch" when in fact many of them aren't Dutch, but made elsewhere.!
The 28" Roadster was in fact popularised in Great Britain, and spread to all it's colonial outposts across the world.

OP
OP
humboldt

humboldt

Anyone tried these folding rear baskets for a pannier alternative?
http://www.waldsports.com/index.cfm/store/rear-baskets/582-rear-folding-basket/

I'm not totally against panniers at all but I feel like the utilitarian look of these fit the bike well and they seem to be much cheaper than a decent pannier, even factoring in the price of a Decathlon watertight sack to stick in there with lunch, a book, sunglasses, neckwarmer etc. (with a carabiner suitably attached to foil any moped snatch thieves). More shots here:
http://lovelybike.blogspot.com/2010/05/wald-rear-folding-baskets-up-close.html

The advantage with a pannier I suppose is that if you want to get groceries you can take it into the shop and fill it at the till then clip it on and go, and it will generally be waterproof by itself if you've got a good one. Oh, and they're much lighter, but then on a bike that's already heavy I'm not sure the basket will be that noticeable.

mjr

Top Bottom