Anyone else aiming for a more relaxed commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
humboldt

humboldt

Brought this home last night.
IMG_20180621_182249_228.jpg

They set the saddle a bit lower than I normally like so I can get used to the coaster brake. I'm making a conscious effort to keep the pedals horizontal when I'm coasting so I can get maximum braking force if I need it. It really encourages a more cautious approach in traffic; I'd rather look ahead and slow down/stop if I think I need to rather than make a break for a gap and get stuck with the pedals in an awkward position for now.

Definitely switching to a pannier or just a small bag clamped to the rack (the sprung handles give a very good grip) and possibly a small bag across my chest for my keys, phone etc, as my usual work backpack left me unpleasantly sweaty.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
They set the saddle a bit lower than I normally like so I can get used to the coaster brake. I'm making a conscious effort to keep the pedals horizontal when I'm coasting so I can get maximum braking force if I need it. It really encourages a more cautious approach in traffic; I'd rather look ahead and slow down/stop if I think I need to rather than make a break for a gap and get stuck with the pedals in an awkward position for now.

Definitely switching to a pannier or just a small bag clamped to the rack (the sprung handles give a very good grip) and possibly a small bag across my chest for my keys, phone etc, as my usual work backpack left me unpleasantly sweaty.
Two tips from someone who rode that way before (but I've replaced the coaster brake with a hub brake now because it seems I stomp on the pedals enough to cause other problems on coaster brake hubs):
1. I brake with the foot on the inside of a turn if I can - left foot when turning left, right when turning right - because it seems to make it easier to start pedalling again with less risk of grounding (I lean the bike a lot!);
2. Like bungees but not as bad, spring clips often let go slightly when you go over a big enough bump. Slight but still enough to let a bag escape (as I discovered on a tree root) so add some sort of strap just so you don't lose it completely - but you might find that it's just as easy to strap the bag down and ignore the spring. I use cam buckle straps with plastic buckles that don't chew into bags over time like metal - wetkama on ebay sells them £3 for 2.

Top Bottom