Anyone else aiming for a more relaxed commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

humboldt

I have one of these on order from Sweden:
https://www.pilencykel.se/en/our-bikes/lyx/

IMG_8245-durablue-b66honey.jpg

This is pretty much the exact colour scheme I've gone for; I could have paid an extra charge and had the mudguards, rack and chainguard matched to the frame but I quite liked the contrast (and the saved cash); the only modifications I'll be making are a better dynamo light and possibly some bigger pedals as I have large feet.

I feel like I've often been rushing pointlessly on my commute for years and that it doesn't seem to earn me much time over days when I just relax and enjoy riding so this is a way to discourage that behaviour in myself. My commute is only about 4.5 miles through north London and only has one hill that I count, plus I switch routes on the way back to avoid a shallow but long drag up anyway; the rest of the time I pootle to the pub/a cafe/a shop or leisurely take the Overground with my bike to explore new areas. None of that needs to be rushed and this way I can wear my nicer clothes and not arrive sweaty.

My wife is thrilled because she already rides a very slow and stately Dutch bike and thinks we'll match more when we go out for a ride together now; she looks very elegant and relaxed every time I see her roll down our street after work so I'm hoping that rubs off on me a bit.

The coaster brake is the only thing that's concerning me slightly but it's mostly just a case of getting used to it for a couple of weeks. I've used one in Copenhagen before but at least this time I'll have a roller brake for the front too and it fits with my desire for minimal maintenance.

Salar

A fish out of water
That's nice.

You hear reports of coaster brakes overheating, but that's on long decents. I've used them in the past on old Raleighs with no problem and I really liked them.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful

View attachment 411964

This is pretty much the exact colour scheme I've gone for; I could have paid an extra charge and had the mudguards, rack and chainguard matched to the frame but I quite liked the contrast (and the saved cash); the only modifications I'll be making are a better dynamo light and possibly some bigger pedals as I have large feet.

I feel like I've often been rushing pointlessly on my commute for years and that it doesn't seem to earn me much time over days when I just relax and enjoy riding so this is a way to discourage that behaviour in myself. My commute is only about 4.5 miles through north London and only has one hill that I count, plus I switch routes on the way back to avoid a shallow but long drag up anyway; the rest of the time I pootle to the pub/a cafe/a shop or leisurely take the Overground with my bike to explore new areas. None of that needs to be rushed and this way I can wear my nicer clothes and not arrive sweaty.

My wife is thrilled because she already rides a very slow and stately Dutch bike and thinks we'll match more when we go out for a ride together now; she looks very elegant and relaxed every time I see her roll down our street after work so I'm hoping that rubs off on me a bit.

The coaster brake is the only thing that's concerning me slightly but it's mostly just a case of getting used to it for a couple of weeks. I've used one in Copenhagen before but at least this time I'll have a roller brake for the front too and it fits with my desire for minimal maintenance.

It looks great. Is it steel?

OP
OP
humboldt

humboldt

Yes, chromoly. It's pretty weighty and I think I'd struggle to get it up a few hills near my house without a struggle (Muswell Hill might be one I'll avoid) but very comfortable.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

View attachment 411964

I feel like I've often been rushing pointlessly on my commute for years and that it doesn't seem to earn me much time over days when I just relax and enjoy riding so this is a way to discourage that behaviour in myself. My commute is only about 4.5 miles through north London and only has one hill that I count, plus I switch routes on the way back to avoid a shallow but long drag up anyway; the rest of the time I pootle to the pub/a cafe/a shop or leisurely take the Overground with my bike to explore new areas. None of that needs to be rushed and this way I can wear my nicer clothes and not arrive sweaty..

I like that machine a lot, proper old-school. With that frame geometry it cannot be anything else but comfortable & stable, just what you want on crappy potholed & speed bump infested London roads.
I'm not a fan of fast, frantic & sweaty cycling either. I can't see how you can derive any pleasure from busting a gut to tear around, having to waste kinetic energy with fierce braking at junctions and not having time to take in your surroundings. The modern breed of road bike set up for fast & furious riding is the polar opposite of having a sit up and beg flat bar machine and not riding it like you stole it. If you adopt a riding style of conserving forward momentum, rather than constant hard acceleration & braking, you don't have to get that sweaty, and you don't actually lose that much time either. I used to ride everywhere on an old steel Puch light roadster with 3-speed Sturmey Archer gears, and I was faster between A and B on that back then than I am now on my 18 speed hybrid - which probably weighs 5 or 6 pounds less!. Actually I must drag it out and put some air in the tyres and see how it compares today.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Nice!
Yes, chromoly. It's pretty weighty and I think I'd struggle to get it up a few hills near my house without a struggle (Muswell Hill might be one I'll avoid) but very comfortable.
You might surprise yourself.
I used to commute on a 21kg single speed, somehow I used to make it up the same hills as I do now on a 27 speed bike.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
You might surprise yourself. I used to commute on a 21kg single speed, somehow I used to make it up the same hills as I do now on a 27 speed bike.

I got talking to an old boy the other week, who I was following on a cycle track, I caught him up when he had to stop and walk over a short steep bridge. He was on an old Raleigh 3 speed Ladies roadster, and the SA gear control chain had snapped coming out of the hub so he was stuck in top gear. I had thought his cadence was a bit slow, that was why! - but nonetheless he was making decent enough progress on the flat, but wasn't breaking a sweat, just taking it nice and steady. His bike was probably about 36-37 lbs in weight, like my old 3 speed. They aren't that slow if you keep them rolling.

OP
OP
humboldt

humboldt

I ordered mine for £759 from this shop:
https://flyingdutchman.bike
Lovely people running it and very helpful. Mine is the Nexus 7 model but you can get a single speed for £630 or a Nexus 3 for £685 (the SRAM Automatix option listed there isn't available any more as the hub has been discontinued).

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I ordered mine for £759 from this shop:
https://flyingdutchman.bike
Lovely people running it and very helpful. Mine is the Nexus 7 model but you can get a single speed for £630 or a Nexus 3 for £685.

I thought it wouldn't be cheap, but if it turns out to be a high quality machine that gives decades of trouble-free service it could still prove to be good value. You did the right thing getting the 7 speed especially if you ride around Muswell Hill or Ally Pally! I've no experience of the Nexus hubs, only Sturmey Archer AW - which just don't go wrong ever so long as you give them a regular squirt of oil. Your chain should last for years and years, since it will be running in a straight line how chain drives should be run. Derailleurs are very crude mechanisms compared to internal hub gears, but became popular because of the much wider range of gearing available. I would prefer a 7-speed hub over a derailleur any day for commuting.

keithmac

Guru
Thats a bargain if it makes the commute more tolerable!. Seat looks nice and comfy.

Nexus 7 hub should be practically zero maintenance. My current commuter was specced with low maintenance in mind as well.

Looks a really nice bike!.

Top Bottom