Anyone else been dive bombed by a buzzard?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
I was dive bombed by a buzzard yesterday afternoon on the way home from work, and apparently it is not the first time that this has happened in the same location, as it turns out that at least five other cyclists have also had a simlar incident!

Dont ask me why, but l got a sort of sixth sense that something was coming at me from behind and then wallop. A bloody great thud on the top of my helmet with enough force to compress my head down into my shoulders and all I then see is a huge buzzard flying up at 45 degrees to the right away from me.

The unexpected thud combined with the sound of its talons against the plastic of my helmet isnt a nice experiance I can tell you.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Up here in Lancashire a few walkers have been quite badly injured by a pair of territorial eagle owls:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ear...redatory-eagle-owls-swoop-on-dog-walkers.html

A bird this size clouting the back of your head and raking your scalp must hurt.

article-2387234-1B341DF8000005DC-139_634x629.jpg

Levo-Lon

Guru
The power of the talons is staggering ..
ive not been dive bommed but had a great day with Raptors last year for my 50th birthday weekend treat..
some of the Eagles are just fantastic but the Harris Hawk is king on the supream hunter stakes for me..

Profpointy

Legendary Member
My dad was recently dive bombed by a seagull - it drew blood too - luckily he was on his way to a doctor's appointment anyway. Some workmen on my roof were being menaced the other day too - but the gulls had a bit more of an excuse since they'd made their nest on next door's roof - unlike the git attacking my dad whilst he was just minding his own business

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Up here in Lancashire a few walkers have been quite badly injured by a pair of territorial eagle owls:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ear...redatory-eagle-owls-swoop-on-dog-walkers.html

A bird this size clouting the back of your head and raking your scalp must hurt.

article-2387234-1B341DF8000005DC-139_634x629.jpg

Some friends of my ex's had an Eagle owl. It lived in a largish aviary, but it did come over and talk to you if you went in the shed which adjoined the indoor bit of his aviary. He also used to give you gifts through the bars - of the dead chicks they used to feed him with. Quite a beast. Mind you they knew another chap who used to let his fly off - leather glove and that like the guy above - until one day the owl returned with a terrier !

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Yes, a few years ago now. Luckily it's first go just missed and I managed to scoot along the road pronto before it had another go. Next door neighbour wasn't so lucky. He never wore a helmet at the time and he got dive bombed by one too. It connected and scratched his head and neck and drew blood.

I believe they don't just dive bomb barn owls but take them home for dinner.
That's to eat not a dinner party guest!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I think the local vicar keeps birds of prey as pets, and that one of them must have attacked Miss Goodbody recently whilst flying around his property.
At least, I overheard him whisper to the verger that 'going down on Miss Goodbody was his favourite Hobby'.

Top Bottom