Anyone else been dive bombed by a buzzard?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
My Kernow & Southwest 600 riders got attacked near Holsworthy several years running, until the buzzard dive-bombed a van and came off worse. Runners and other cyclists on the same stretch of road had similar experiences.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I got told to go away by a budgie once .

Mr Celine

Discordian
Not dive bombed but bombed from high altitude level flight.
On a beautiful early June morning with not a cloud in the sky the only bird I'd seen was a soaring buzzard. Shortly afterwards there was a terrific SPLAT! which covered half my helmet with sh!te. I stopped and looked up again, still nothing in the sky apart from the buzzard, which I assume was the culprit.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Not me that was targeted but these two events were pretty amazing.

I was on a short tour from Morecambe to Dumbarton following the west coast. Enroute from Grange to Ulverston I missed the route and stopped to check the map. There was a sudden thud and explosion of feathers as a raptor of some sort hit the ground with a pigeon in its talons literally beside my front wheel. The raptor sat looking at me for perhaps a minute - long enough to get the phone out for a photo - a sort of oh shoot, what next look on its face.

The following day I was riding a Tarmac disused railway line on a downward gradient at speed. The tree canopy was a complete cover. Right in front of me a raptor with a three foot wing span flew out in front of followed by two magpies who mobbed it for about half a mile till the raptor spotted a gap in the canopy and disappeared.

Just a couple of the great experiences you can only get by being out on a bike.

*Dusty*

Returning Hero.
I've never been hit by a buzzard but every time I wash the car a pterodactyl bombs it. Or possibly a flying cow.....

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Once coming down the Bristol Railway Path at speed, a bird flew parallel to me for about 50 yards. We both eyeballed each other and it looked a bit puzzled as if it was thinking 'Crikey, those humans can go fast!'. The nearest I've come to getting dive bombed was last year in St Ives when a seagull almost got my pasty:ohmy:.
I am, however, impressed by a bird's ability to poop on me from 200ft up. They must have really good targeting systems:laugh:.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
IMGP8472.jpg

It's a bonxie (a Great Skua), and it wasn't terribly keen on sharing its bit of Fair Isle with us earlier this week. Fortunately we had our wits about us, and ducked rather than got hit - before walking firmly away from its nest.

Top Bottom