Anyone else getting sick of these YouTube ads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
Was watching a concert Springsteen released for the lockdown - Hyde Park 2009 it's excellent. Anyway bloody you tube adds getting on my nerves so switched to watching on Apple which was a lot better. Only thing was the adds on Apple were mostly for bloody YouTube.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Shocks me that anyone endures this tripe tbh - why no ad blocker?

I run Adlbock Plus and ublock origin which work very well - I never see ads on any of the sites I visit.

From my occasional experiences when these plugins crash / I have to use another machine, I'm not sure I could stomach using the net at all with the slew of invasive, distractionary cack that seeks to waste your time and manipulate you into parting with your money :blink:

I don't have a telly for similar reasons and when I do get exposed to ads it really is a shock how aggressive they are, in the vacuum of having not been conditioned to them over years of viewing.

I think I read that only something like 5-10% of people use ad blockers; which I guess is a good thing since the majoritiy who don't subsidise the minoritiy who do :tongue:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
If we want free to view information we have to accept that the owners of sites will want to get paid for what they do and selling advertising space gives them an income... it's still true that you never get anything for nothing.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
On my PCs, I just replaced my existing hosts file with the one available here: http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

Unfortunately, it won't block Youtube ads, but it blocks a lot of web page ads, including those annoying ones in which every word starts with a CAPITAL LETTER! As soon as I see that p@#% poor excuse for grammar/spelling, I tune out...

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
On my PCs, I just replaced my existing hosts file with the one available here: http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

Unfortunately, it won't block Youtube ads, but it blocks a lot of web page ads, including those annoying ones in which every word starts with a CAPITAL LETTER! As soon as I see that p@#% poor excuse for grammar/spelling, I tune out...

+1 for using an edited HOSTS file to suppress ads.

Only downside is that the one from MVPS suppresses googleadservices.com, so when you click on an ad on Google, you get a "can't connect to that site" error. But that's a small price to pay.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm also worried about my life insurance, my driving licence, my hearing, my teeth and whether or not I should remortgage my house after skimping and saving all my working life to pay the effing mortgage off.

Top Bottom