Anyone else got Corvid-19 Cycle Lanes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
No. They were removed by the council.
Same thing, really.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
This is a picture of our wonderful C-19 cycle lane one morning...

Great if you can do a bunny hop :whistle:

dodgy

Saw a piece the other day about the early days of the Netherlands transformation, there was lots of resistance from motorists. Change had to be forced upon them until they had no choice but to accept it. Years later, pretty much no opposition to the changes.
What I learned from that is we're not going to get anywhere with cones or paint.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I don't think there are any in Northumberland but North Tyneside and Newcastle councils are doing a lot.

The stretch of sea front from Whitley Bay to Tynemouth has been made into the Sunrise Cycleway The two-lane road has been converted to one-way with diversions for south bound motor vehicles. That side of the road is now a two way cyclepath which frees up all of the pavement for pedestrians - previously it was a shared use cycle path. Local residents are now campaigning to keep it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Saw a piece the other day about the early days of the Netherlands transformation, there was lots of resistance from motorists. Change had to be forced upon them until they had no choice but to accept it. Years later, pretty much no opposition to the changes.
What I learned from that is we're not going to get anywhere with cones or paint.
Weren't the first Netherlands cycleways basically posts, closures and signs? It's a circle: more infra encourages more cyclists who support better infra...

All uphill

Still rolling along
I was there and remember those days. I am ashamed to say I found the early changes in Groningen incomprehensible, shortening cycle routes and limiting the number and capacity of points of entry for motor vehicles. Empty bus lanes while I sat in my car in a queue.

I hang my head in shame.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Huh? No road is vandal-proof.
well... if there were no cones to get knocked over, they wouldn't be knocked over and render the lane useless. The road was good enough to begin with. Even the regular cyclists around here think this is a stupid idea... yet you seem rather keen on it. Have you written to your local council and requested they follow Lancaster's example?

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
well... if there were no cones to get knocked over, they wouldn't be knocked over and render the lane useless. The road was good enough to begin with. Even the regular cyclists around here think this is a stupid idea... yet you seem rather keen on it. Have you written you your local council and requested they follow Lancaster's example?
No because our local ones have already got kerbs and are rather wider and I'd rather they were extended in the same style if possible. That said, I'm not opposed to post-protected reclaims like that, but they should be at least 1.5m one-way or 2.5m two-way (30mph). However, sadly, we're only getting some new cycle parking and improvements to an existing toucan crossing. The nature of the bidding process means it's a bit random where gets what.

Are the regular cyclists there thinking? If there were no cones to get knocked over, motorists would be invading the lane at best and knocking cyclists off at worst, wouldn't they? And the cones knocked over don't render it useless after the first person knocks them to the kerb, but it would be better if they'd painted a solid white line between the cones so the lane had legal effect even when the cones were down and it would help you to spot any bases left attached to the road after the vandals have attacked.

Is the key test whether the regular cyclists use them (who already cycle despite the current crap road designs) or whether they encourage more cyclists?

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Liverpool Street in Salford, as it approaches the boundary with Manchester, now has them along a stretch of around half a mile. It started out as railway sleepers, but more recently has changed to posts in the road. The only trouble is, the road surface of the previous broken white lines cycle lane is so sh1te, particularly travelling towards Manchester, mixing it with the traffic was in parts of the road, the better option.
Salford Council seem also to have to have taken the opportunity of COVID to bring forward planned permanent cycle lanes along Chapel Street in Salford, adjacent to the Manchester boundary. These have reduced both sides of the road to single lanes of traffic.

Top Bottom