Anyone else got Corvid-19 Cycle Lanes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
We had one in Dover. It took out a whole lane to traffic and handed it to buses, bikes and taxis. This road is two lanes but easily wide enough for three and it's a very busy road.

It lasted about two weeks before being withdrawn. There is still plenty of room for a quality cycle lane and two lanes of motor traffic.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Ireland allocates another €63m to cycleways. https://www.thejournal.ie/63-5-million-walking-cycling-greenways-5259976-Nov2020/

That's almost exactly €10pp of covid cycling funding. The UK has so far announced just €4pp (AIUI) and many have opined some has been squandered by incompetent and flipflopping councils.

mjr

The residents not Northampton are bleating about the new bollards in Rushmere Road, mainly because they stop them parking their cars on the cycle lane like they always used to do.
Ah, be fair: it's not like most of the houses have long empty driveways and the drivers are just too lazy to reverse into them...
Screenshot_2020-11-09 showmystreet com.png

Ah, whoops.

Drago

Legendary Member
By the standards of that sheety town its a nice street, butnits a main route and if I lived there id never leave a car parked on the road for fear of it being damaged. People are just lazy, selfish, arrissholes.

Corvid lanes on both sides of the road won't leave room for a car on rural roads...so not likely to see them round here......pity!

mjr

I actually rode my first two of these lanes on Saturday. They were Priestgate and New Road in Peterborough, the first of which is shown in https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk...ecisions-made-city-centre-cycle-lanes-3001221

Both lanes were very useful additions for my journey even though I didn't know they were there. It's now possible to cycle across the city centre without risking a large fine, although it is a bit convoluted from the south or southeast (U turn and corkscrew required!) - and of course, none of the Sustrans routes have been rerouted so most (21, 53 and 63) still avoid the centre, except for one (12) that directs you straight into a cycling-still-banned road. :wacko:

The lanes were pretty wide, with New Road almost a whole carriageway lane (3.7m maybe?) but the bollards on the outside were very close together, so I can see they would cause problems if you wanted to use the carriageway to pass a large group, or to take a turning on the other side of the road. They could have used half the bollards and made it easier to cycle into the next lane but still made it impractical for a car to get in. The money saved could have been used on a few direction signs: on Priestgate, I missed the turning into Cross Street to reach the marketplace at first; and on New Road, I think I missed a cycleway that avoids an oversize roundabout but I'm still not sure if I did.

There's a good discussion of what's happening with the next slice/tranche of funding for these lanes in the Streets Ahead Podcast:

View: https://twitter.com/podstreetsahead/status/1327265031130669056

Last edited:
A small village on my commute has traffic-calming chicanes. For some reason, 2-of-3 never had cycle bypasses; last month they fitted some.

It's much nicer to ride through now ... except that when it's remotely busy, the Q-ing traffic frequently parks half-in the bike lane. I've banged on two front wings already in the morning 🤦

• Cool
Reactions: mjr

mjr

Those of you involved in promoting cycling might like to share these guidelines which apply from next Wednesday with the key phrases handily highlighted:
ukgov2dec-i.png

Drago

Legendary Member
Thats great! Alas, most folk are bone idle lazy and would rather sit ststionary in a traffic jam for an hour than ride a bicycle for 10 minutes.

Still and all, the official advice is great and appeals to my inner patriot. By cycling im doing something towards the national good, helping the health system, the economic system and protecting myself.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
There are loads of them in Newcastle- a good example is Victoria Road between the University and the RVI Hospital. The road had two lanes of traffic with a row of meters on the RVI side.

Now two cycle lanes with bollards at about 2m centres to define the bike lanes and no parking meters. There isn't enough room between the bollards for two buses or articulated lorries to pass easily and the resulting traffic build up means it's a bottle neck during the day.

Great for cycling both ways though... it would have been better to have a 2 way cycle lane on one side leaving loads of room for the two way traffic.

Last edited:

mjr

Response to the Spending Review from Cycling UK: "The £257 million set aside for active travel next year is less than 1% of the £27.4 billion roads budget the Government remains stubbornly wedded to. Reducing next year’s funding by around £45 million makes the delivery of the Government’s own targets to increase levels of cycling and walking almost impossible, without the radical shift in transport spending priorities required to decarbonise transport."
https://www.cyclinguk.org/blog/spending-review-sees-guaranteed-cycling-and-walking-budget-slashed-15

I bet FairFuelUK and their cronies will be well pleased with themselves.

Top Bottom