Anyone else have sneezing fits ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
This problem once beset me and I received this advice from a vastly experienced GP which has always stood me in good stead:

—Have you ever seen a horse sneeze?​
—Yes, I replied, remembering holidays spent on my uncle's farm.​
—Did it have its mouth open?​
I had to think about that for a while but, having done so, replied,​
—No, I don't think it did.​
—Exactly, he said. At the first hint of a tickle get out your handkerchief, close your mouth and then sneeze into the handkerchief with your mouth closed. Civilized manners have led us to try and limit our sneezing by opening our mouths to reduce the explosion. The first couple of times you keep your mouth closed you are likely to suffer pain at the back of your throat but, like the horse, just relax. Once you can relax and sneeze easily through your nose your problem will be solved. Our genteel manners conspire to leave traces of the irritants in our nasal passages which then continue to irritate and lead to further sneezing.​
I left with considerable doubt and no prescription: but I tried it and it worked. Relax the throat and close the mouth and you have every chance of solving your problem—and always carry a handkerchief!​

Last edited:

Gwylan

Veteran
I have had them for many years now. Most days it will just come on with very little warning.
Normally I have between 8-13 on the trot. Maximum was 17.
When I was younger it was funny but now it drains me and its no longer funny.

Thought it was just me. You have my complete sympathy.

Get a whiff of something and u can feel it like a pain in my nose. Seconds or minutes and I'm off. Sneeze about every 30 secs for several minutes.

Some fabric conditioner, cheap body perfume and those awful, sorry, perpetual air spray things people have.

Gwylan

Veteran
This problem once beset me and I received this advice from a vastly experienced GP which has always stood me in good stead:

—Exactly, he said. At the first hint of a tickle get out your handkerchief, close your mouth and then sneeze into the handkerchief with your mouth closed. Civilized manners have led us to try and limit our sneezing by opening our mouths to reduce the explosion. The first couple of times you keep your mouth closed you are likely to suffer pain at the back of your throat but, like the horse, just relax. Once you can relax and sneeze easily through your nose your problem will be solved. Our genteel manners conspire to leave traces of the irritants in our nasal passages which then continue to irritate and lead to further sneezing.​
I left with considerable doubt and no prescription: but I tried it and it worked. Relax the throat and close the mouth and you have every chance of solving your problem—and always carry a handkerchief!​

Thanks. I tried that. Just makes my nose bleed. That is really not nice.

Gwylan

Veteran

Thanks. I tried that. Just makes my nose bleed. That is really not nice.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I have them usually when food gets in my nasal passage. It can go on for hours, until I manage to blow the obstruction out, or the obstruction drops out my nasal passage and down my throat. When I say food, it could be a tiny piece of veg' up to the size of half a grape. The other week I was sneezing on and off like billyo for 3 hours. The obstruction was a whole small olive!:ohmy:

ianbarton

Veteran
I have had them for many years now. Most days it will just come on with very little warning.

My wife's entire family have sneezing fits. It's not particularly related to pollen, etc as it can happen at any time of the year. I assume it's genetically related.

I have them usually when food gets in my nasal passage. It can go on for hours, until I manage to blow the obstruction out, or the obstruction drops out my nasal passage and down my throat. When I say food, it could be a tiny piece of veg' up to the size of half a grape. The other week I was sneezing on and off like billyo for 3 hours. The obstruction was a whole small olive!:ohmy:
Why do you put olives up your nose?

I agree, it becomes exhausting. Sometimes get pins and needles in my arms when I sneeze that much

Top Bottom