anyone else having problems with Halifax online banking?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Since they introduced new security measures in the summer, I haven't been able to set up any new recipients via online banking.

It goes all the way to the last step in which a code is displayed on screen, they're supposed to ring my landline and I enter the code, but the phone call just doesn't come... I've been onto them numerous times about it and it's not been resolved and have just been told that there's noting more they can do.

If i can't use their online banking then the bank is fecking useless... so after thirty years, I'm probably looking at shifting my banking elsewhere, which isn't ideal. :sad:

D

Deleted member 26715

How can it be there is nothing they can do, surely they can see if the system is actually making that outbound call, can you not change the number to your mobile, or a relatives phone number to test? Do you have Anonymous calls blocked or something like that, is your phone provider blocking the number? I know we block numbers if they get reported to us as spam/scam callers.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Have you checked the phone numbers listed on your profile? Having been hacked - via my MBNA credit card who Halifax own - the numbers were changed and I didn't get confirmations.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I use Bank of Scotland which used to be and probably still is part of the same group with no problems.
My Clydesdale Bank a/c now Virgin requires me to log in on my mobile before I can log in on laptop.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

The number's not being blocked (I've been onto my provider about it). They (the bank) say the call is being made but my number is 'unavailable'... which makes little sense to me.

The only place I'll ever do online banking is at home, on my PC, sat next to my landline... I've heard of mobile phones being cloned, but not a landline, hence my being adamant that they're not going to be using my mobile, and their system is supposed to work on landlines.

The landline definitely works, they've got the correct number... it's their system that isn't working for me.

My current workaround is to just transfer money via paypal when i need to pay someone new... but when i need to pay someone remotely who doesn't do paypal, it's gonna be a pain.

D

Deleted member 26715

The number's not being blocked (I've been onto my provider about it). They (the bank) say the call is being made but my number is 'unavailable'... which makes little sense to me.

The only place I'll ever do online banking is at home, on my PC, sat next to my landline... I've heard of mobile phones being cloned, but not a landline, hence my being adamant that they're not going to be using my mobile, and their system is supposed to work on landlines.

The landline definitely works, they've got the correct number... it's their system that isn't working for me.

My current workaround is to just transfer money via paypal when i need to pay someone new... but when i need to pay someone remotely who doesn't do paypal, it's gonna be a pain.
They need to report the issue to their provider there was a new piece of regulation that came in in October known as Ofcom GC6 it could be something is blocking calls via that, but good luck getting them to do something, although a swap of the number to your mobile (only temporary) would prove it.

classic33

Leg End Member
Have you got unknown/withheld numbers blocked on the your phone or phone account.

They, Halifax, used to have a system that didn't pass a number onto the system/network. It's why they send a text saying that they'll be contacting you.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Switch accounts. You may well get a "perk" for doing so, and/or better customer service (First Direct are frequently recommended). Switching is easy these days.

D

Deleted member 26715

Have you got unknown/withheld numbers blocked on the your phone or phone account.

They, Halifax, used to have a system that didn't pass a number onto the system/network. It's why they send a text saying that they'll be contacting you.
Under Ofcom GC6 they're not allowed to do that they have to show a number, but then set a flag to keep it private, if their system can't do it then their provider has to.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

no nothing like that. But that's what the Halifax told me initially, several months ago. turned out they were talking nonsense. Why would anyone have a blanket block on all unknown numbers?

Cut a long story short, back in September, they said they'd sort it by giving me a different way to prove my ID and sent me a super secret number... but as it happens, there isn't an alternative to the system that isn't working for me so I'm feeling that their customer services have bullshitted me and fobbed me off with a non-existent solution, only to be told a couple of days ago that there's nothing they can do.

I'm all in favour of a secure system but not one that so secure that it can't be used. Switching to a different bank is the way forward with this i think, although sending money to someone new is a once in a blue moon event.

D

Deleted member 26715

Why would anyone have a blanket block on all unknown numbers?
Quite a lot of people do, I'll be honest if I see a call from an unknown or withheld number I let it go to voicemail, only if I am expecting a call I may answer, but as far as I am concerned, if they want me to answer they need to let me know who they are by presenting a number.

Edit:- But you still haven't tried to change the number for a test to prove whether it's their system or your phone line with the issue.

classic33

Leg End Member
no nothing like that. But that's what the Halifax told me initially, several months ago. turned out they were talking nonsense. Why would anyone have a blanket block on all unknown numbers?

Cut a long story short, back in September, they said they'd sort it by giving me a different way to prove my ID and sent me a super secret number... but as it happens, there isn't an alternative to the system that isn't working for me so I'm feeling that their customer services have bullshitted me and fobbed me off with a non-existent solution, only to be told a couple of days ago that there's nothing they can do.

I'm all in favour of a secure system but not one that so secure that it can't be used. Switching to a different bank is the way forward with this i think, although sending money to someone new is a once in a blue moon event.
Phone their free phone number, ask for and/either their Commercial Street* or Trinity Road number. Explain the issues there. Both should be 01422 numbers.

I think you're right in what you've said though.

*Office, not their Commercial Street branch. Both numbers are on a "look up list", available to any staff member.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

Edit:- But you still haven't tried to change the number for a test to prove whether it's their system or your phone line with the issue.
The issue is their system and my landline so changing the number to one that isn't my landline will prove nothing. No one else seems to have a problem calling my landline and I'm 100% certain that no unknown or withheld numbers are being blocked because I've been in touch with the PO about it. If i did change it to my mobile and it works, I'm then stuck with having to use my mobile, which is less secure, which i don't want.

Top Bottom