Anyone else having problems with Map My Ride today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Although I record all my rides on Garmin, I also used Map My Ride on my phone, with the audible updates telling me the miles, average speed, etc.
This dates back to before I took the plunge and bought a Garmin, but also to ensure that if one of them doesn't work then I still have a record of the ride.

I've only had one MMR failure before, when it failed to record the first 20-ish miles of a ride, then decided I'd covered that distance in 1 second, giving an average speed of something like 15,000 km/h. It then fell over and has since refused to acknowledge that ride ever happened...:laugh:

Anyway, today MMR kept going into auto pause, at several points repeatedly advising "workout paused", "workout restarted" to the point where I almost stopped to turn the volume down. I'm not exactly the fastest rider in the world, but I'm not that slow!
This didn't happen all the way around, but often enough.

When I got home, Garmin told me I'd done exactly 32 miles - this is around what I was expecting as I've done this route many times before and I was aiming for just over 50km.
However, despite the map in MMR showing exactly the same route, that tells me I've only done 23.29 miles

Garmin map:
02032019s.JPG

MMR map:
02032019MMR.JPG

So, both maps show the same route and should, in theory, be the same distance.
It seems fair to assume that the "missing" miles are when MMR went into auto pause?

As an aside, MMR has also recorded me setting some fast sector times, including in one case me averaging nearly 30mph over just under a mile (my previous best over this section was just over 16mph).

And then there is this:
MMR_oddity.JPG

Obviously I'll delete the MMR ride and import the ride / GPX from Garmin in it's place, but I just wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem?

Last edited:

C R

Guru
I had some issues with negative start times a couple of years ago. Fixed after an update, and no problems since. Planning to go out tomorrow, so will report back.

From the symptoms, though, it could also be that the phone was having trouble getting a gps location, and that would cause mmr to get confused. Did you check with other apps that use location services to see if they were working ok?

OP
OP
NorthernDave

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I had some issues with negative start times a couple of years ago. Fixed after an update, and no problems since. Planning to go out tomorrow, so will report back.

From the symptoms, though, it could also be that the phone was having trouble getting a gps location, and that would cause mmr to get confused. Did you check with other apps that use location services to see if they were working ok?

Everything else seems ok, so I'm hoping it's just one of those things and it will sort itself out for the next ride.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom