Anyone else still spending money on their 26" wheel bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Both my bikes are 26" and I still spend money on them

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
All my MTB's are 26" steel rigids and I have absolutely no intention whatsoever of changing to 27.5" or 29". 26" are practical, durable, and reasonably compact & lightweight bikes. They are perfect for what I want to use them for, so I will be sticking with 26"

Just built a Whyte 901 mtb with 26" wheels. It is a great bike that suits me fine. At some time I may go 27.5" but there is no need or desire for one at present. As long as new parts are available I am very happy with 26".

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Yep. My 26" Boardman from 2012 that got me back on a bike is still excellent. Add that to the Optima Lynx recumbent which has a 26" rear wheel and I think I'll continue for some time yet.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I've still got my 1996 Trek 850 and have just recently bought new a crankset, gripshifts, brake levers and V-brakes for it. I'll be getting a new set of wheels too after Christmas is past.
Bars and seatpost are still original though.

I suspect that in the long run 26" wheels will end up like 24", a few niche/ boutique components, some low end stuff for kids, but little midrange, quality components thst are widely available.

26" has been the global standard since 1980s so it is poor judgement to throw it out in favour of sized that offer at best, marginal gains and at worst are too big for the bike and rider.

Jody

Stubborn git
Just bought a new Hope wheelset for mine and the shock is off to be serviced shortly. I'm not changing any time soon.

D

Deleted member 26715

My Cube is 29" which I like on open lanes, but there an many times when I question whether I bought the right bike & should have bought 26"

Top Bottom