Anyone else struggle with the heat?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I cannot handle the heat. Anything over 25c really has me but even 20+ is getting uncomfortable. And I don't just mean don't like, I reckon I start to have something akin to system malfunction! I walked the dog this morning, I thought it'd be cooler/fresher after a thunderstorm, but it was muggy and I noticed I was both tiring and becoming irritable.

I don't ride July and August as a rule, unless very early and then only 60 - 90 minutes. Just seen a group of blokes ride past, some shirtless, and it's maybe 28 or 30 out. No way would I be out. I hide inside during the day!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Only trying to sleep. The daytime heat doesn't really bother me too much. The dog's walk takes place earlier in the day for her sake, not mine.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Not at the moment as it's very cool at this time of year here but it does get very hot as you can imagine.
Most important thing is to drink plenty of water so make sure you take plenty with you or have access to it. You can get dehydrated very quickly and might not even realise.

OP
OP
Y

yello

It might be age for me too tbh. I've never been a big fan of the heat but I haven't really experienced the temperatures we get here/now. August will probably see mid 30s. Not looking forward to that at all.

I do drink more (can't but help not!) but that doesn't really help with how I feel. I honestly believe that I'm simply not built for these temps and my body can't handle it. It's not simply a preference.

Fastpedaller

Not at the moment as it's very cool at this time of year here but it does get very hot as you can imagine.
Most important thing is to drink plenty of water so make sure you take plenty with you or have access to it. You can get dehydrated very quickly and might not even realise.

I favour the heat - strange how we are all different. I did 81 miles yesterday and I don't think it dipped below 25C. Re water - do be careful if you are exercising hard in the heat, because water may not be ideal.... some electrolyte added is a good plan, otherwise the blood can be starved of vital minerals. i used to get cramps, but avoid them using electrolyte.

postman

Legendary Member
I hate it.America was stupidly hot.Er what did you expect.Anyway both my legs from the knees down to the toes are swollen,and have been during the holiday,one ankle is really badly swollen,and i feel so tired.

OP
OP
Y

yello

My ankles and feet swell too. The docs say it's a side effect of my blood pressure meds... but one that only happens when it's hot.

I quickly began to struggle in anything resembling heat on long runs. Much less so on the bike.

2022 London Marathon started off great for me, overcast and cool at 13 degrees. But just after the half way point the sun finally burned through, hitting 20 plus, and slowed me down a lot.

My last marathon was perfect. 12 degrees at the start and cool down throughout.

I don't ride July and August as a rule, unless very early

I think this is a mistake. We DO adapt to the heat (some more than others, I know!).

The first hot day's ride in Aprll and I'm all grumpy. If it's similar a week later I'm fine. Repeat roughly once-a-month until August ... Even then, the hotter days can really slay me! But if I don't acclimatise, hot August is a massive shock :sad:

I briefly chatted to a (black) cycling doctor recently who grew up in Zimbabwe; he confimed that now he's uk-based, he has to go thru the same heat acclimatisation as we do every summer!

Last edited:

presta

Guru
I cycled all year round, and if you're away touring you have to take what you're given anyway, you can't pick your weather, but I quite like weather that's warm enough to wear just T shirt and shorts. I carried 4 litres of water on the bike, and when it got really hot I stopped for more.

I did 10 days in Kent/Surrey/Sussex/Hants in 2010, and I rather enjoyed that it was warm enough for T shirt & shorts all day every day, right from setting off first thing in the morning.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Y

yello

I'm not sure I'd want to go through the process of adapting tbh! I think it'd be unpleasant, and possibly even dangerous. I've never shown any tendancy to adapt and I've been riding long enough (though admittedly not in the temps we've had in recent years)

I think I might have a different operating range, if that makes sense. My wife says I have a hot body (no, not like that!) and it's been remarked upon on club rides that I don't wear as many clothes as others. If anything, any adaption that's occurred is towards the colder end of the scale.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I favour the heat - strange how we are all different. I did 81 miles yesterday and I don't think it dipped below 25C.
Very true. It's 26° here today and it feels cool to me, mainly cause it's overcast. I have to deal with temps 27-35° in the hot season.

Last edited:
Top Bottom