Anyone else struggle with the heat?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Yes. At 29° and 70% humidity today here in the Washington DC area, it feels pretty crappy. Drink water on my rides and try to stay in the shade, but rides of only 1+ hours often give me 1-2 hr headaches after my ride, not during.

This time of year I take my rides at 5-5:30am to beat the heat, but the humidity never seems to go away. 😵‍💫 But at least Morning rides are cooler and nice and quiet. 🚴 🤗

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I do if prolonged exercise in heat, such as audax events. If I’m just out for a few hours with no time pressure I cope. I’ve tried heat acclimatisation this year, and it does work for shorter duration. But only if you get many hot days in a row.

Whether you are in direct sunlight or not can make a big difference. The weather forecast shows shade temperature and non shade temperatures are much higher.

Plus humidity makes a difference. In Australia I was happy exercising in 42C dry heat. Not sure how well I’d cope here. Plus here in UK, we don’t get prolonged heat and acclimatisation is hard.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
the temp the last few days has been perfect for me , as you know i have reynauds so im still wearing full finger gloves but it beats having white hands even with gloves on .Performance wise for me its just the right balance of warm enough to get the joints moving nicely without being into the baking high 20s /30s

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I used to really suffer in the heat, but losing 30+ kg (over 4.5 stone) has helped a lot. I still prefer it round about 20 C but 25 C isn't too bad now and I can (just about!) cope with 30-ish.

I have started to suffer the opposite problem - feeling the cold more in the winter!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Spent a week touring Northern France in mid-June. Temps were mid-high twenties most days. It was fine so long as I kept moving. As soon as I stopped it became noticeable how hot it was. One day, I’d drank 7 litres of water and was still peeing dark yellow.

I take a mouthful of salted peanuts every so often to maintain the sodium levels. Not only do we lose sodium through sweat, what remains gets diluted by the water.

According to my Garmin after two warm rides this week I'm 17% heat acclimatised. Now we have about two weeks of rain so I don't see I'll get anything more than that.

It's not so bad outside with the breeze. It's people on turbos inside in summer that I don't understand.

OP
OP
Y

yello

Being a hay-fever sufferer (grass seed in my case) doesn't help matters either. I've woken feeling completely blocked and swollen. I hate this time of year ;)

OP
OP
Y

yello

According to my Garmin after two warm rides this week I'm 17% heat acclimatised.

Garmins can measure that these days!? Wow! Blimey, things have changed since I bought my 305 cripes knows how many years ago. Dunno whether to be impressed or.... something else!

Best taken with a pinch of electrolytes!

Better than nothing I guess.

Heat Acclimation
When training in heat above 22ºC (72ºF) as determined by the Garmin Connect™ application, your Training Status will take into account how your body is reacting to the temperature. Your heat acclimation will be displayed as a percentage of how acclimated you are to the temperature.

Apparently they can also measure altitude acclimatization too. Not that I'm likely to do any of that in the foreseeable!

Wonder how long my acclimatisation will last. It's lashing down outside.

Heat Acclimation
When training in heat above 22ºC (72ºF) as determined by the Garmin Connect™ application, your Training Status will take into account how your body is reacting to the temperature. Your heat acclimation will be displayed as a percentage of how acclimated you are to the temperature.

Apparently they can also measure altitude acclimatization too. Not that I'm likely to do any of that in the foreseeable!

Does it take your star sign into account?

Fastpedaller

I like accumulating 'data'...... On my ride on Saturday I drank about 2.5L of water including electrolyte plus about 1.5L of plain water, plus a pot (maybe 1L) of green tea. My wee resembled the tea after the ride ^_^. Despite also having a delicious ham egg and chips lunch at half way, I still came home 1.7Kg lighter! All fairly approximate, but interesting (probably only to me)

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Garmins can measure that these days!? Wow! Blimey, things have changed since I bought my 305 cripes knows how many years ago. Dunno whether to be impressed or.... something else!

No, it do an indirect measurement, something like time spent exercising above a certain temp. It can’t measure sweat rate and salt content and blood volume which change with acclimatisation etc.

Top Bottom