Anyone else suffer from eye 'floaters'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pclay

Veteran
Yep, had em for as long as I can remember. I can only see them if I squint, or half close my eyes and focus on a bright background, e.g. Computer or iPad screen. Never bothered me to be honest.

tyred

Legendary Member
I've had them for as long as I can remember.

As my Granny and her sister both lost their sight late in life the eyes are one part of my body I've always been paranoid about so I do have my annual check up and the opticians always tell me my eyes are healthy.

pclay

Veteran
Just to make sure, we are talking about these.....

DD1F6E0A-839F-4D74-8580-3DA1E238B2B3-20432-000007842E2A0DA7.png

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
[QUOTE 5186217, member: 43827"]That is just one type of vitreous detachment I believe. Others can give the impression of looking through floating patches of net curtain.[/QUOTE]

That's a good description of mine - it twirls about and morphs in shape like a piece of CGI.

I had them big and dense enough, in both eyes, such that when they were each in the right position, and it happened often, the car in front of me would vanish as if beamed up. Bilateral vitrectomies just for that. That's the far extreme end of otherwise benign floaters.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I had them in my twenties gradually dissappeared now approaching 60 I dont get them .

I think it was very wrong to tell you they are permanent.

Archeress

Veteran
I've had them since childhood, but a couple of years ago (age 62) my partner got his first. OMG you'd have thought he'd gone blind from his reaction, instantly making an appointment with the GP and going into meltdown mode.

Hugs
Archeress x

Tin Pot

Guru
I've had them for years - since I was a child I suppose. I don't notice them most of the time - they're usually on the edge of my field of vision. I can't say that they've ever caused me any problems.

I think I probably thought that everyone had them and hence never worried about it. I think you'll notice them less if you're not thinking about them.
+1

Freaked me out as a kid because no one could explain what they were, not a problem once I found out.

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Thank you all for your replies.

Struggling a bit this week esp' whilst driving as it moves around quite rapidly and is disconcerting.

I've read that they can 'fall' to the bottom of the eye out of the line of sight and that rolling an eye up and down or side to side can shift them - doesn't work for me. It seems to be moving about within its own small segment of the total field of vision whilst changing shape.

Might sound a bit like an over-reaction from me I guess but it has occurred in my 'good eye' - in '94 I nearly lost my left eye due to a pseudomona infection. Was in hospital 5 days whilst they got it under control - followed by a long rehab' period. It left me with a 6mm dia' scar just off centre of the iris - not really discernible unless you know it's there. Oddly it doesn't seem to affect my vision too much as apparently my brain fills in the blank area.

I'll have to wait and see if the floater goes or if my brain gets used to it.

I've read about laser zapping being an option in some circumstances but I guess that's a premature reaction. Anyone here had this procedure carried out?

lazyfatgit

I can't remember not having them. Only really notice if there's a plain bright background.
As a child i used to unfocus and daydream chasing them around. I had one for ages that seemed to have a hinged bit that could be swivelled by rolling eye aroumd.
I just assumed everybody had them.
To be honest, grubby specs are probably more of an annoyance.

Top Bottom