Anyone else suffer watering eyes in cold/wind?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Yes - and a runny nose. Lots of people do.

ohnovino

Large Member
I cry like a baby on fast downhills. Nothing else causes it (e.g. headwinds on the flat aren't a problem), air temperature doesn't seem to make a difference and glasses don't seem to help.

Maybe I'm just really scared of descents :cry:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I hope this helps: I wear glasses and one day on an enforced family shipping trip I nipped in to TK Max where I picked up a pair of very wrap-around sun specs for £12.99. I popped out the lenses and got them glazed for £50 to my prescription with the cheapest plastic. The lenses are quite thick at the edges and paying more for a denser plastic would have made them thinner but that doesn't bother me. I got them in single prescription and not vari-focal so reading a map or computer is a bit tricky but they protect my eyes very well as they fit snugly. Fogging happens when I stop if I'm sweaty but soon clears when I move.

Many opticians will shy away from glazing a wrap-around frame because they are worried about the thickness of the outer edges of the lenses and the very slight optical distortion - obviously a flat lens is optically much more the ideal. In use the edges don't show and the slight distortion is immaterial as soon as you start moving.

If you can't find an optician to do it, ask them where they reluctantly send specs for repair once they have failed to persuade customers to buy a new set. You will find that in every town there's a scruffy shop in a back street with a technician working miracles with glue, solder and tiny bolts who will know somebody willing to undertake the job for you at a very cheap price.

I only get this now and again and find it soon goes. I wear contacts and wrap around military grade sunglasses to stop my contacts drying out and debris getting in. Have you considered goggles as an alternative? Im no medical expert but if your eyes are weeping all the time it cant be good for them.

Orange

My eyes are blue and I have the opposite problem - the wind dries them out. Probably something to do with wearing contact lenses, so I usually wear sunglasses or yellow tinted ones and that keeps them moister.

Terry Kay

I was getting really bad runny eyes on the commute down the hill when I started in November.. Combination of the speed (it was down hill!) and the cold I think..
I balked at the price of cycling glasses so ordered a pair of close fitting Cat safety specs.. Not had a problem since!
Only problem is steaming up if I stop for any length of time, but they also come in handy when I'm working on the car!

Top Bottom