Anyone else suffer watering eyes in cold/wind?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
My eyes water 'like crazy' in the cold.....particularly when it's windy. The optician tells me it's age related (I'm 65) and the cure is a most unpleasant operation where they drill down thro' the nasal bones and should be a last option.
Don't get me wrong......there are people a lot worse off for many reasons-but it means I can't cycle (or play golf) in anything but mild conditions. I dont even bother walking if it's cold & windy as I'm constantly drying my eyes to the point they get quite sore.
Just wondering if anyone else has this problem so we can commiserate:rolleyes:
I have to wear specs and have spent a small fortune on various 'wrap-arounds' but nothing seems to work.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I get it when I'm going over about 30mph (downhill usually :blush: ) and also wear glasses.

I'm in the process of getting prescription wraparounds to see if it helps.

BSRU

A Human Being
My eyes have always watered in windy conditions, so I do not think it is age related, although I am not a professional eye person.
I always wear glasses to stop the watering and for eye protection.

GBC

Veteran
I'm 58 and get it as well in similar conditions, either walking the dog or cycling, although I find that it stops after a while. I'm not sure if that's due to acclimatisation or the tear ducts not keeping up. Like Dave7, if anyone's got any info or advice......

akb

Veteran
I get this, summer or winter, regardless of the conditions, if i am not wearing cycling glasses. I am 25. I have found tinted glasses help, I have a glasses kit, which contains a mixture of 'pop-in/out' lenses to change when the conditions change.

BSRU

A Human Being
I was once told an old wives tale that it is something to do with blue eyes, being more sensitive to light and wind.
Obviously easily disproved if someone with another colour has the same problem.

billy1561

BB wrecker
My blue eyes almost always suffer with watering usually worse first thing in the morning whatever the weather. I put it down to having them corrected by laser surgery many years ago.

400bhp

Guru
I get it when I'm going over about 30mph (downhill usually :blush: ) and also wear glasses.

I'm in the process of getting prescription wraparounds to see if it helps.

Where are you getting them from?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
even if it's not windy just the forward motion is enough to make my eyes water. Cold breeze, strong sunlight, warm breeze... eyes water. I've tried wearing clear shades but they just stop me from drying my eyes easily, so soon gave up on them. It doesn't stop me cycling though, and I expect the people i pass assume I've just been dumped or bereaved or been sacked as I'm always bloody crying. :cry:

GBC

Veteran
I was once told an old wives tale that it is something to do with blue eyes, being more sensitive to light and wind.
Obviously easily disproved if someone with another colour has the same problem.

Old wives tale it is.....mine are brown.

Reactions: akb

tyred

Legendary Member
I have this too and I do have blue eyes. Wrap-around perscription glasses help until it is wet, frosty or foggy and then they steam up and I am effectively blind.

Top Bottom