Anyone else taking their spikes off for next 10 days?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
hadn't put them on yet, just amended my route slightly to avoid the more permafrost quiet roads. Iff at all I expect end of January time when it usually gets a bit grimpy and the schools start closing.

I don't mind the clattering on normal tarmac but prefer it not to for the sake of half an hours work nearer the depths of winter.

Nobbly tyres for a CX club ride tomorrow morning. Weather appears mild enough. In fact i don't use mudguards on the CX so i will likely get very muddy!! Good to mix it up. Road riding all the time, in winter, would be enough to dishearten even the keenest of riders.

As Sheryl Crow sang...... "A change will do you good".

You'll need a helmet?

After all they are claimed to prevent 85% of head injuries, or was that 62%, or was it 29% you never did answer the queries over the contradictory values you posted on the other thread...... You challenged anyone to dispute the 85% claim, refuted and disproved it in your own post snd ran away!

I find that it is only a 20 minute job to swap tyres over on the trike, so tend to do itthe evening before if I think spiks will be required, but then again a trike is more forgiving

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I don't believe I've ever seen a bike with spiked tyres. In fact, I don't believe I've ever seen a spiked tyre. In this country, they're a solution in search of a problem.

I don't believe I've ever seen a bike with spiked tyres. In fact, I don't believe I've ever seen a spiked tyre. In this country, they're a solution in search of a problem.

Marathon Winters are regularly available in the UK, and are excellent for snow and ice.

schwalbe_marathon_winter_assorted_tyre.jpg

I became "infamous" at work last year when I was one of the few who made it in... where 4x4s and ars were not making it in the trike with MWs did!

Best part was overtaking a 4x4 on the approach road incline , they were unable to proceed but the trike simply kept going.

Admittedly only used a couple of weeks per year, but I certainly would not be without them in my kit

potsy

Rambler
Mine have been getting lots of attention in the works bike rack, don't think any of my colleagues had seen them before either :smile:

Until you find yourself having a bit of a laydown on the tarmac, despite being extremely cautious as a frost was evident. I had a fall this week before I got around to fitting them. They then seem quite worthwhile.
Indeed, last winter I pedaled up the side street to the house then promptly fell over after getting off the bike. Pedestrians shuffling along should really have given me a clue.
Until you've actually used them you have no idea how good they are in icy conditions.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I am a very regular cyclist - admittedly more often in towns and cities than in the country. I have once - in my life - been faced with ice that's given me pause. That was when it had snowed, and a small thaw had been followed by a very deep freeze.

Frankly, if it's cold enough to be icy I'll stay at home. And advise anyone else who asks to do the same.

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I am a very regular cyclist - admittedly more often in towns and cities than in the country. I have once - in my life - been faced with ice that's given me pause. That was when it had snowed, and a small thaw had been followed by a very deep freeze.

Frankly, if it's cold enough to be icy I'll stay at home. And advise anyone else who asks to do the same.
Must be nice to have that choice.

al78

Guru

My workplace is five miles from the nearest A road so as far as I am concerned I would rather use the studded tyres than have to walk half the time or risk a broken limb.

If I took time off every time it looked icy I would have taken the last two weeks off work, and we are barely into winter, just not practical.

I've always used main roads or not cycled and haven't needed studded tyres but I was surprised today when we came across black ice on our ride today, especially when just down the road one Garmin said 3deg C and another said 4deg C. If I was living in a rural location and had to travel I'd invest in some.

I always find that knowing how your bike "sounds" is the best indicator

Normal sounds - fine
A "hissing" sound - you are on frost
Silence - you are on ice
Metallic screeching - you are in trouble!

Seriously though the trick on ice is to know your and your bike's abilities.

I know there are about 20 days per year when I probably would not cycle on a bike, but happily do so on e trike. On the other hand there are regulars I see on bikes on those days who have come to no harm.

No-one can tell you how to proceed, it is up to you to assess your competency, then use additional protection such as padding or a helmet if you so wish, ride, drive or catch public transport

Top Bottom