Anyone else taking their spikes off for next 10 days?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Haven't put them on yet, it hasn't been icy on my normal commute route (although some of the side roads have been terrible). I only bother with the studs to ride on well compacted and/or refrozen snow.

I am a very regular cyclist - admittedly more often in towns and cities than in the country. I have once - in my life - been faced with ice that's given me pause. That was when it had snowed, and a small thaw had been followed by a very deep freeze.

Frankly, if it's cold enough to be icy I'll stay at home. And advise anyone else who asks to do the same.

I started using Marathon Winter tyres 2 years ago. It makes my 6 mile rural commute much less stressful when it's icy or snowy. Once in built up areas, roads tend to be clear, but on minor roads, they're invaluable. It still pays to be cautious on them, but you can keep going rather than sliding or falling over.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I don't believe I've ever seen a bike with spiked tyres. In fact, I don't believe I've ever seen a spiked tyre. In this country, they're a solution in search of a problem.
Well, in this country they were a revelation to me and to my sore hips after a fall on ice last winter - 2 actually, one on the bike, one off the bike :blush:
I will carry on using my marathon winters fitted bike, the noise does not bother me.
Will probably use the bike fitted with ice spikes from time to time, was using it last night as a matter of fact, the extra effort/less speed does not bother me.
I'm not going to use my hybrid any time soon, as I could go to work at mild temperatures, then after a 12 hour shift find ice on the road.
Also, having ice tyres gives me the option of taking my favorite shortcuts, near the river.
Running water equals ice danger :ph34r:

Norm

I am a very regular cyclist - admittedly more often in towns and cities than in the country. I have once - in my life - been faced with ice that's given me pause. That was when it had snowed, and a small thaw had been followed by a very deep freeze.

Frankly, if it's cold enough to be icy I'll stay at home. And advise anyone else who asks to do the same.
I think you've answered your own point there. You might be a regular cyclist but you have the option to stay at home so it seems a bit obvious that you wouldn't often encounter conditions that you don't want t cycle in.

Others don't have the option, or are happier riding when it's below freezing though, and they might more regularly encounter ice.

OMG! :ohmy:
Goodwill, peace, merry Christmas and so on to all folk on cycle chat :cheers::hugs::highfive:

A couple of the many clues / hints that some people were in denial of on the helmet thread:

DSCF00022.jpg

P1070053.jpg

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I think you've answered your own point there. You might be a regular cyclist but you have the option to stay at home so it seems a bit obvious that you wouldn't often encounter conditions that you don't want t cycle in.
Actually I've got options to use another mode of transport. I'm rather surprised to discover that there are people who don't - I'd have thought a backup plan would be essential for anyone travelling anywhere every day using whatever transport mode.

Stonepark

Über Member
Actually I've got options to use another mode of transport. I'm rather surprised to discover that there are people who don't - I'd have thought a backup plan would be essential for anyone travelling anywhere every day using whatever transport mode.

Their back up plan is "WINTER TYRES" as they will get you anywhere you need to and allow you to continue cycling, but at a slightly slower pace in winter weather that a normal car/bus with summer tyres (the majority) probably couldn't handle.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
...which is a fine backup plan for ice. It's not a good backup plan for an injury or an illness or a a terminal bike failure.

Norm

...which is a fine backup plan for ice. It's not a good backup plan for an injury or an illness or a a terminal bike failure.
Then they'd likely have a different back up plan. Either way, the point remains that other people might not have the same 'it's a bit chilly' back up plan as yours and, as yours involves not using the bike, then its still unsurprising that you don't encounter much ice.

Crankarm

Guru

You obviously don't have to work as you are either retired or unemployed, so fitting studded tyres is not high on your list of priorities. However some of us do have to, meaning we need to ride to work early in the mornings or come home late at night during the dark winter season - ice, snow, you know wet slippery cold stuff. Failing to properly prepare for winter weather conditions means that you are at risk of crashing and injuring yourself which means you might not be able to work. Disaster. Not to mention any pain, road rash, broken bones or damaged bike.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Well, of course none of us is gonna end up stranded Sahara desert style :rolleyes: there are buses, trains, taxis, cars - legs even, for walking.
It's just that if you are working shifts the bike is the fastest and cheapest way to travel - for me anyway.
On Saturday night I left work at 3.30 am, rode home in 15 min. Some of my colleagues are probably still waiting for a taxi :laugh:
BTW, 2 winters ago we had unusually heavy snow here in Glasgow city. I got to work, but there was no way to get back: public transport had come to a standstill, cars abandoned allover the place.
I did walk the 5 miles home (only started to cycle last winter) but would not hesitate to ride my snow bike now, should we get extreme weather.
Found a picture of a main street that night:
George.jpg

Then they'd likely have a different back up plan. Either way, the point remains that other people might not have the same 'it's a bit chilly' back up plan as yours and, as yours involves not using the bike, then its still unsurprising that you don't encounter much ice.

Yup. My back up plan consists of a bus, except when there's heavy snow, the buses stop completely, as we're on top of a hill and they can't get through. Cycling is the easiest way normally anyway, and often even in normal weather, is quicker than a car. Plus, being a conscientious chap, I try and make the effort to get in, rather than taking a snow day!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm back on the fixed with brand new conti 4 seasons. MTB ready if it gets cold again, want to use it to play with the mad light I've just got.

Top Bottom