Anyone ever considered moving abroad for the better cycling experience?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That was going so well until the final word! Greggs are a last resort for when real cake shops are closed or you need food before leaving a suburban chain-store tarmac wasteland.

Abroad, the wasteland hypermarkets more often have a real bakery in an arcade on one side. I suspect either government or customers insisted on it.
A lot of my rides include a suburban chain-store tarmac wasteland, but not abroad.

Gregg’s mush is great. Bacon roll and a flat white for around £3 and back on the bike in 10 minutes. You don’t get that sort of quality out in the sticks.

Why don't people just take a sandwich and a chocolate bar? It so needn't be an issue! If someone wants to play at being a tour de France tribute act those go faster cycle tops have pockets don't they?
I like spending money to keep the economy going.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Why don't people just take a sandwich and a chocolate bar? It so needn't be an issue! If someone wants to play at being a tour de France tribute act those go faster cycle tops have pockets don't they?
Ever been poisoned by a sweaty sandwich? It ain't a fun experience. And some very nice foods are too fragile to travel well in a pocket or even a saddlebag or bar bag. And I'm not carrying all my food for a week tour. Heck, I chew through enough food in a day that carrying a picnic lunch means taking the big saddlebag... all in all, it's more fun to stop and enjoy the local delicacies such as a crab salad sandwich in Wells-next-the-Sea, one of Laddie's Famous Ices in Holbeach, or empanadas at Woodlakes. ;)

Gregg’s mush is great. Bacon roll and a flat white for around £3 and back on the bike in 10 minutes. You don’t get that sort of quality out in the sticks.
No, you get far better ;)

(And if you get through Greggs in 10 minutes, then the ones near you must have far fewer dithery prats than every one I've ever been in!)

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Ever been poisoned by a sweaty sandwich? It ain't a fun experience. And some very nice foods are too fragile to travel well in a pocket or even a saddlebag or bar bag. And I'm not carrying all my food for a week tour. Heck, I chew through enough food in a day that carrying a picnic lunch means taking the big saddlebag... all in all, it's more fun to stop and enjoy the local delicacies such as a crab salad sandwich in Wells-next-the-Sea, one of Laddie's Famous Ices in Holbeach, or empanadas at Woodlakes. ;)

(And if you get through Greggs in 10 minutes, then the ones near you must have far fewer dithery prats than every one I've ever been in!)
Definitely an upside to being a veggie and I already carry a Carridice long flap on the bike at all times so cool box no issue.

Seriously, I must admit there are times when I just treat food as fuel to be consumed asap. Other times I am happy to relax and take my time eating some good food.

Greggs food is to be consumed rather than enjoyed, and can be done quickly if you keep away from them lunch or breakfast time. On a freezing winters day a steak bake is a lifesaver. They were very welcome when other cafes were shut in the restrictions.

but that's where they keep their suppository pumps mr hippy.

(ok - I confess/plead forgiveness - on a ride I was leading I once refused water to a proud minimalist who had gone out with just a tiddly water bottle so he could humble/flash brag about his other bottle cage which held the minimalist tools) :smile:

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Bring it on:
1645638192946.png

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Definitely an upside to being a veggie and I already carry a Carridice long flap on the bike at all times so cool box no issue.
I'm totally with you OH on the sandwich & snack, and I also KNEW that as soon as you said that, there would be someone right behind you to tell you all the mighty reasons that would not do. And they did. Okay, so what…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :wacko: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Top Bottom