Anyone ever considered moving abroad for the better cycling experience?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
And the overtly right wing anti climate change government don't appeal, helmets are law and the indigenous population are still treated appallingly. Beautiful country though.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Not really. As mad as it may seem from our perspective, the UKs roads are some of he safest in the world.
But how much of that official statistical impression is because the UK excludes many cyclist injuries from road casualty counts, both formally (UK doesn't count dropping an ebike on oneself when dismounting as a road casualty, but NL and some others do) and informally (the continuing refusal of several police forces to accept that things like no-motors-except-access bypassed former A roads are still roads, so they don't record the injuries on them). Just be cautious about international comparisons: many of the international datasets are for comparing with history not between countries, so don't even try to adjust for this.

Back to the question: I won't move only for the cycling but it is a factor in the decision. We moved within the UK to this house partly because it has a cycleway outside.

Hearsay only.

I occasionally use the Gatekeeper in Cardiff centre for meet-ups with old colleagues or the Mount Stuart down the Bay for bacon sandwiches on a bike ride. They are OK but nothing more. The Ernest Willows in City Road is cheap and not so cheerful.
noted, though you should get about more.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I must admit Spoons is not my first pub of choice when out and about, and on rides I usually eat at Greggs.
That was going so well until the final word! Greggs are a last resort for when real cake shops are closed or you need food before leaving a suburban chain-store tarmac wasteland.

Abroad, the wasteland hypermarkets more often have a real bakery in an arcade on one side. I suspect either government or customers insisted on it.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Why don't people just take a sandwich and a chocolate bar? It so needn't be an issue! If someone wants to play at being a tour de France tribute act those go faster cycle tops have pockets don't they?

Top Bottom