Anyone ever considered moving abroad for the better cycling experience?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
Another thing, French drivers pull over to let you overtake on big Col descents, knowing you can easily outpace them.
In the UK they’d prefer to pull out in front of you

1lor

Regular
When I went to Holland I loved the biking culture the part of maastrict I was inwas very pleasant, no trouble on the street everyone looked happy, clean and tidy I would move there if I could it was a stark difference to UK lifenive experienced .

DRM

Guru
In the UK they’d prefer to pull out in front of you
Don’t I know it, even on little descents, had a prat in a BMW pull out of the side street, near the cafe opposite Newmillerdam, Wakefield , despite the fact that it’s very easy to trigger the speed warning sign, if I’d caught him I’d have ripped his head off, would have been doing around 30 mph at the time, the idiot flew up the road when they realised and heard me doing my finest RSM impression and turned right up a steep hill to get away.

gbb

Legendary Member
Ever thought if moving abroad for better cycling ?....no.
I'm finished 'proper cycling' but when I was I absolutely loved the variety of countryside I could enjoy on two wheels.
The flat Fens, for a good workout, no respite, no freewheeling, just work, enjoy riding along drains and rivers, farms and fields, wildlife, wildlife etc.
The rolling Northants countryside, inclines not too steep, not too long, sweeping up and down, again the countryside and panorama to enjoy.
Closed lanes and countryside headed toward Stamford.
Long slow inclines headed south toward Alconbury and beyond, then the gentle downhill all the way back.

I've spent hundreds of hours and thousands of miles enjoying our countryside on two wheels. Of course theres always an odd idiot out there...we all get it, but the pros far far outweigh the cons IME.

I've been to Spain, I never saw anything out there that attracted me. Cyprus was nice around Akrotiri but not that nice (i think theres a good cycling scene out there). Uruguay was visually quite like the UK, all the other countries I've been to seem like hell holes on the road...cant see why I'd want to swap.

Which makes you realise how lucky we are. We can cycle and get fit anywhere, on the road, in your shed, in a gym...what you get here is an ever changing, fairly beautiful countryside. Wouldn't swap it for anywhere else I've been.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Don’t I know it, even on little descents, had a prat in a BMW pull out of the side street, near the cafe opposite Newmillerdam, Wakefield , despite the fact that it’s very easy to trigger the speed warning sign, if I’d caught him I’d have ripped his head off, would have been doing around 30 mph at the time, the idiot flew up the road when they realised and heard me doing my finest RSM impression and turned right up a steep hill to get away.

You're not the only one. A club-mate was taken out at that junction.

snorri

Legendary Member
When I went to Holland I loved the biking culture the part of maastrict I was inwas very pleasant, no trouble on the street everyone looked happy, clean and tidy I would move there if I could it was a stark difference to UK lifenive experienced .
I felt much the same, it was just a pleasure getting around separated for the most part from motorised vehicles. As I'd passed my own Best Before date I was conscious of the mobility enjoyed by older people, again thanks to the segregation from motor traffic they felt safe to roam.
It's easy to look at a country through rose coloured specs when touring in summer, but at the end of a visit to NL I always felt I was leaving a better place to return to a country in decline.
In answer to the thread title, no, there's more to life than cycling^_^.

1lor

Regular
I felt much the same, it was just a pleasure getting around separated for the most part from motorised vehicles. As I'd passed my own Best Before date I was conscious of the mobility enjoyed by older people, again thanks to the segregation from motor traffic they felt safe to roam.
It's easy to look at a country through rose coloured specs when touring in summer, but at the end of a visit to NL I always felt I was leaving a better place to return to a country in decline.
In answer to the thread title, no, there's more to life than cycling^_^.
Agree with you

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I think this is just an all too common/fashionable delight in slagging britain and the brits off, often by folk who pride themselves on being cosmpolitan and broadminded. Which is somewhat ironic.
As Drago says, the French accident rate is significantly worse than britain.

There's a lot worse countries in the world than the UK, and the supposed attraction of some of these other places probably has more to do with having warmer sunnier weather than anything.
To a large extent, you make your own luck when you are on the roads no matter what kind of vehicle you are using. We live in an overpopulated country so encountering large volumes of other vehicles in most areas is just a fact of life. Deal with it or don't go out!.

There's a lot worse countries in the world than the UK, and the supposed attraction of some of these other places probably has more to do with having warmer sunnier weather than anything.
To a large extent, you make your own luck when you are on the roads no matter what kind of vehicle you are using. We live in an overpopulated country so encountering large volumes of other vehicles in most areas is just a fact of life. Deal with it or don't go out!.
I recommend cycletravel skipdiver - you can ride for tens of miles hardly seeing a thing - we aren't so crowded.

Gunk

Guru

I’ve been to Maastricht a couple of times, lovely city, and a nice part of Holland.

Top Bottom