Anyone ever considered moving abroad for the better cycling experience?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shropshire65LW

yes . stuck here at the moment as im a carer for Mum.
im unsure how we stand now with Spain (EU) . im sure its not impossible

other option is live out of a small motorhome and Travel and cycle as long as Money holds out
and untill the travel things starts to wear thin ..

be nice to do this ...who knows what the future will bring .

My experience of close passes is the same as yours @HobbesOnTour
Really cannot remember the last time i had a close pass from a car. I get a lot in london and in country lanes. It's always the self regarding twowheel racers.

A quick scan through an interesting thread. Someone already said the grass is always greener, and how very true. When I visit the UK I cycle along canal/river paths mostly, and very enjoyable it is. Some days I set out and don't get far as the cold wind cuts through me, and I long for the warmth of Thailand. Here, I cycle most days on quiet routes with little traffic, but in the hot season the sweat just pours off, and I long for those rides back in the UK. A benefit here is the area I live is flat. A benefit in UK is you can put more clothes on to keep warm. I think that even if you found a cycling utopia, the novelty would soon wear off, and you'd be looking to new pastures. Such is life :smile:

PS - If you fancy a city cycling challenge, I highly recommend BKK - cyclists are lower than a snake's belly compared to other vehicles :laugh:

BigMeatball

From my personal experience, others may say differently, I am extremely glad we kept our place in UK. Speak to lots of Brits in Portugal who have moved and took advantage of NHR and got their ten years tax free but still register at their children's address in UK, the reason, the NHS.

Must admit after seeing quite a lot of elderly couples, one passes and the other left alone in a country (where they being Brits have ( in the main) not bothered to learn the language) are then left feeling isolated and desiring to return to UK.

That is one of the main reasons we kept a place over here so if one of us was left we would have somewhere to return to and sell the place in Portugal.

Also, although the sun shines a great deal more it can become quite tedious. I am lucky, I have my cycling, but for many Brits after the initial exploration period wears off the furthest they go is the local bar, seen quite a few drink themselves into an early grave.

I know people moan about the UK but, IMHO, it still does have a lot to offer and I would never leave permanently despite having the place already set up and mortgage free.

We could go tomorrow but I don't see it happening.

I see your point. Fortunately for you guys, soon this won't be a problem anymore as brits won't be allowed to emigrate that freely.

I usually cycle once a year back in the UK, several decent rides out in the countryside. Four things are stuck in my mind:

1) terrible road quality
2) drivers that aren't cyclist friendly
3) rain
4) amazing scenery and some great routes

There is certainly a difference in driver attitude (even in the countryside) of say UK vs France or most other EU countries, i just found that drivers in the UK were in more of a rush and much more likely to try to squeeze past you, in most countries around me drivers seemed happier to wait that bit longer until there is a gap.

Just back from a long weekend in the Jura riding and the weekend before that Annecy on some of the Cols there, next weekend Italy at Lago Majorie so much of my summer weekend riding is in different places. Here in CH we are spoilt with super smooth roads although anyone that's descended any of the Alps will know about the rocks that you often find in the road side that have tumbled down, often in the night so morning descents are often an eyes wide open experience.....

Last August (about 2nd week) i had a ride around the Cheshire/Derbyshire border, last climb i can only describe as a river with water coming down the road at about 3cm high.... at least the pot holes weren't visible any more:laugh: Not sure why i take my bike back when i go but some how it's home and i feel to need to explore those routes i used to ride as a 15-17yr old.

In answer to the question "would i move from the UK just for the cycling" = no, i'd just adapt and learn to love and enjoy it however i moved for work and infinitely prefer the cycling in warmer (dryer) climates with decent road surfaces and slightly more patient drivers, also the coffee is generally better:tongue: but there's no Greggs sausage rolls here:laugh:

Johnno260

Veteran
+ 1
Completely gorgeous city with a paradise setting for cyclists😊

...from the wonderful flat cycle path alongside the lake, to the tough climbs that are 360 degrees.
Here's an inspiring article of what to expect in terms of scenery & gradients: https://www.cycling-challenge.com/top-5-cycling-climbs-lake-annecy/

I loved it there, it's the reason I got the Thule tow bar carrier, my wife booked the holiday I just said France is fine with me, when I saw the pictures I said there is no way I'm not taking the bike.

Every morning I did a full lap of the lake, and I did some of the climbs from your link, it was paradise the infrastructure was amazing, the part of the lake with no cycle path I had no issues with drivers all were patient, I really didn't want to come home.

The Netherlands from the previous holiday was amazing as well, so easy with my daughter and a tag along going from town to town for coffee and cake.

But Annecy I can't wait to return it's just beautiful there, I can't recommend it enough.

One of the previous weekends sorties at Annecy:

I'm lucky that it's only 90mins away from us, our "Lake District" so to speak:wub:

nagden

I have lived in Normandy for the last 16 years. I did not move here just for the cycling but it is an added bonus. The roads are very quiet and I am always given plenty of space. On rare visits back to Dover where we lived I am shocked at the amount of traffic and would not ride around there now.

frank9755

Cyclist
You only need to read @frank9755 account of riding in Australia during the Indepac to see how horrific cycling in Australia can be,

Australia actually has good cycle lane infrastructure in most of the big cities, where the bulk of the people live. But, on the roads, cyclists have very low status. There is an expectation that they should ride in the gutter at all times and, if you act differently, motorists are confused and usually aggressive. Neither are good, so it's best to stay in the gutter. I only took primary position once in Australia - the driver's reaction (confusion / bewilderment rather than aggression) scared me too much to do it again.

Cycling in Australia gave me a good insight into what it might feel like to be part of an oppressed group in society.

Top Bottom