Anyone ever considered moving abroad for the better cycling experience?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
As per usual, had my share of stupid drivers on my ride this morning, dangerous overtakes and the lot. Seems to be a very British trait to treat cyclists like a nuisance rather than the way forward for society to deal with health and environmental issues.:angry: It made me think whether I would want to move to somewhere in Europe where cycling is more popular and drivers are a lot more considerate to cyclists. When I cycled in France, it was like paradise, mostly due to the more considerate drivers. Anyone become an ex-pat for the better cycling experience? I wonder whether I would consider joining our continental brethren sometime in the future, seeing as how cycling is something I do so much of - it would make sense to reside in a country where the set-up is more favourable to cyclists.

@steveindenmark didn’t you do this?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If you think France is paradise for cycling then go cycle in Spain. There is no country better for cycling In regards to the way car drivers treat cyclists.
Its my dream to retire to Southern Spain and spend the rest of my days cycling on their wonderful mountain roads.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yet the casualty rate on UK roads is lower than France or Spain. Only Sweden, Norway and Switzerland have safer roads in geographical europe than the UK. Perception is a strange thing.

France is far form an idyll for cyclists. Hell, convicted drink drivers can still drive Voitures sans Permis, and they usually still do so while pithed.

The only roads I've cycled that I think were genuinely safer than UK roads - as opposed to some rose tinted impression - was Amish country in Pennsylvania, where the roads are broad and straight and visibility is as good as ever, but there were few cars.

Last edited:

dodgy

Anyone become an ex-pat for the better cycling experience?
Immigrant. You mean immigrant.

But back on topic, I have considered it, a bit more admin to get over now but still doable and still under consideration. We've looked at Carcassonne.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Well it was other reasons that drove me to Germany, but the cycling here is vastly better than in the UK.

It's not only the excellent infrastructure that makes it a pleasure here, but we also have pro cycling laws like presumed liability, which means the more vunrable party is deemed innocent. So in a car/cyclist crash then the driver is always presumed guilty, though in a cyclist/pedestrian crash, then the cyclist is considered guilty.

Generally it all works well and feels a wonderful place to ride, surprisingly though, I see very few Lycra clad "serious" cyclist's, it's mostly used as a viable means of transport here, just as it should be really.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Not really. As mad as it may seem from our perspective, the UKs roads are some of he safest in the world.
Yet the casualty rate on UK roads is lower than France or Spain. Only Sweden, Norway and Switzerland have safer roads in geographical europe than the UK. Perception is a strange thing.

France is far form an idyll for cyclists. Hell, convicted drink drivers can still drive Voitures sans Permis, and they usually still do so while pithed.

The only roads I've cycled that I think were genuinely safer than UK roads - as opposed to some rose tinted impression - was Amish country in Pennsylvania, where the roads are broad and straight and visibility is as good as ever, but there were few cars.
Is this because there are perhaps fewer cyclists on UK roads than France or Spain? I agree, it is about perception as well. France felt safer, drivers were more patient. Or maybe I don't know enough French to know when they were swearing at me :laugh:

dodgy

Sometimes, what 'feels' safer is all you need to enjoy your cycling. It's the reason why most people are scared to ride on UK roads, they're scared. Hence the big push for segregated infrastructure.
I have reasonable experience of riding in France, less so in Spain and Italy, but still a bit even there. No doubt whatsoever in my mind that France 'feels' safer, therefore it's more enjoyable.

Top Bottom