Anyone ever moved homes to facilitate their cycling lifestyle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
Have I ever mentioned that I live at the top of one of Sheffields biggest hills? This means that wherever I go I have a massive climb back, and TBH it puts me off making short journeys as it takes me so long to get back up the blummin hill.
Added to this, my recent spell of ill health has meant that cycling has been completely out of the question, there's no way I could physically cycle back up the hill at the present time (though I did ride down it last week and had a lift back!).
This has been making me an OH think a bit about the future, as we're not getting any younger and can see a time when we will have to stop cycling altogether because of the hill.
We've got some changes coming up in the near future, as we're starting to prepare to either rent out or sell OH's house. We were origionally planning to stay in my house, but I think we're all but decided that once we've disposed of his house, we'll start preparing to sell my house with a view to moving down the hill into the valley. This will mean that we can aim to live completely car free because as well as being to cycle alot more easily and quickly we'll have access to better public transport.
Has anyone else ever made a move for similar reasons?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Not as such. I did plump for a particular flat once because it was on the ground floor and I could store all the bikes at the end of the sofa, rather than carrying them up some stairs...

yello

Cycling was certainly a factor in choosing our place 5 years ago but in a broad sense, other factors were of greater importance. As much as I enjoy my cycling, I don't think I could plan my life around it. I'd never be without a car for instance. That said, my wife and I have accepted that we will be moving back into a town in our old age, and lessen the need to drive anywhere.

We wanted to live somewhere that was scenic and had lot's of options regarding cycle routes, so yes cycling had a major role in deciding to move to where we are now. I think we must be nearly the opposite of where you are, in that all roads bar one lead uphill, but then we are lucky in having a lot more than just the one option.

jugglingphil

We chose our house mainly because the kids can walk to school. House situated 1.5 miles from Primary in one direction and 1.5 from secondary school in the other.Also closer to my work place meaning I never drive if going to office.
We are also very close to a cycle path which can be taken to get most of the way into Nottingham and beyond.
Before that we were driving miles to drop off and pick up at school, go to work etc etc etc.
It was one of the best decisions we have made, all the family cycle a lot more and we drive a huge amount less.

Choosing a house has got to tick as many boxes as possible. Your love for cycling is a box to consider (if that makes sense?).

We certainly choose the rental accomodation we are in because of where it was and ease of my OH cycling to work. One point to note, moving to the bottom of the hill is not always a good move. No matter which bike I take, or which route out of where I live I take I have an uphill start before either I or my lungs & legs have warmed up..

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have thought about moving, but living on both the edge of the Peak District and the Cheshire plain is great for cycling, so happy to stay where I am and if anything have been put off moving as a result.

I have thought about a move to South America where my OH is from, but the cycling over there doesn't look too appealing

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I used to lust after moving closer to work, but now when I am lusting after houses they have to be between 15 and 18 miles away. The would also have in the right prevailing wind direction so tailwinds home would be the norm..

Not that I can move at the moment, but that would be the criteria..

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
We certainly choose the rental accomodation we are in because of where it was and ease of my OH cycling to work. One point to note, moving to the bottom of the hill is not always a good move. No matter which bike I take, or which route out of where I live I take I have an uphill start before either I or my lungs & legs have warmed up..
The move we're planning would eliminate the hill problem, as far as local journeys are concerned. Where we're planning to move to has got lots of great local amenities, fab public transpot links, a supermarket good local shops and the city centre and train station are about four flat miles away. I'd never have to ride up a massive hill again!

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
The town I live in is built on a big hill (like massive!!) and you often see the 'oldies' (and I'm talkin in their 80's) walking up it, slowly, but still.
I reckon the walking up the hill is what has kept them going so long. Like you though I rarely pop into town on my bike because by the time I got back up the hill I'd need a shower!:heat: So I tend to walk if I just need to go to the post or shop.

I really could do with getting another job, but it would probably mean a move from the area and I want to stay where I am because the cycling is so good here (hills or not)

Sort of ....

We had filled the two sheds with bikes so needed more space for bikes so moved to a house with a garage

We now have a garage and two sheds full of bikes !

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Nope. Northern Ireland as a cycling destination is an absolute gem no matter where you live in it. All moving would do is put the roads I love closer to home, which removes the fun of getting to them.

I too live on the top of a bloody steep hill. After a year of cycling up it (albeit at weekends) I thought it would get easier, but it has not. I have to plan the length of my rides so that I know I have enough left in the tank to get up the hill. We have our house for sale but not for cycling reasons. When we have sold, I certainly will not miss the hill. In fact, when we go I am thinking of making a sign and concreting it into the ground "Doodah's Hell".

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Nope. Northern Ireland as a cycling destination is an absolute gem no matter where you live in it. All moving would do is put the roads I love closer to home, which removes the fun of getting to them.
I'm just back from a week visiting rellies and one of which lives near Castlewellan - and I was thinking I would hate to do that hill each day to get into Castlewellan!!!

As for moving houses to help cycling ... I didn't consider it but after seeing some of my older relatives it did make me think that I should try and future proof some of the choices I make now.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
We are hopefully moving closer to schools and within 5 minute walk of free baby sitters mother in laws , right next to a hill i commute up every day .
Hill reps already planned ^_^

Top Bottom