Anyone fancy a '74 Citroen DS?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
and more importantly the DS wasn't total crap !
I disagree, my uncle had one of these and with the 1750 engine it was bloody quick.

6396734.jpg

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
I have many fond memories of the Allegro (my first car).

In particular, putting a new clutch in, with a minimum of tools, while the car was parked on the road outside the house. I wouldn't even begin to attempt that on a modern car.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I have many fond memories of the Allegro (my first car).

In particular, putting a new clutch in, with a minimum of tools, while the car was parked on the road outside the house. I wouldn't even begin to attempt that on a modern car.

Ah yes the ease of maintenance of the older car. I remember a cortina engine swap on my own in the rain in an hour and a half. I paid £10 for someone to swop a gearbox on the same car when I bought another box at the gearbox shop - mid '80s prices so still bloody cheap

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
image.jpeg

And this was the 80's cousin. BX

Julia9054

Guru
Takes me back to living in Zimbabwe in 1990. That place is a rolling classic car museum because nothing rusts.
We were looking to buy a car and went to a farm to test drive one of these. Hubby got in the driving seat and myself in the passenger seat . . . along with the vendor. A huge gaggle of small children climbed into the back seat with a couple lying on the parcel shelf. As Al turned the key, smoke and flames billowed from the engine. You never saw such panic as all the kids (and adults) scrabbled to get out!
We didn't buy it!
Ended up with a 1962 Austin A40 instead. Great car!

Drago

Legendary Member
That's lovely. Drop in a nice Perkins diesel and it'd be perfect.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Beautiful, there was a convertible on there recently...............I often look at "Citroen" under classic cars on Ebay and as much as Iike & want a DS, it's an SM I really want. An early girlfriend's dad had a 1982 CX that she used to take me out in, with the silly tumbler speedo, a totally bonkers car, I wish cars today were like that instead flabby blobs.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8005/7634960030_e11889a5c0_o.jpg
:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:
and I even like the color.

screenman

Legendary Member
I disagree, my uncle had one of these and with the 1750 engine it was bloody quick.

6396734.jpg

Only 80 bhp, maybe not as quick as it seemed. 96 top speed, 19 seconds for a 1/4 mile. Not many cars that slow nowadays, or as scarlet for that matter.

I would still own on just for the smile factor.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Seems like a steal.

I've seen these advertised for close to £100k. Perhaps there are more desirable models/versions

100k would seem a lot, even for a concourse soft-top or whatever, but I could be out of touch. 20k for a nice shiny one sounds ok though - no expert, so "sounds Ok" is just a feeling

Top Bottom