Anyone going for a Christmas day ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
What ! With four kids under the age of six i've got no chance of a i nice ice ride ! Going to try and get out tomorrow just to photograph the frozen Manchester Ship canal and part of the River Mersey...mad weather or what !

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Did 10 miles round the Suffolk roads this afternoon, desperately cold but worth the effort. Didn't see a single car but had the opportunity to wish walking neighbours the compliments of the day. The road surface was icy in places but easy enough to avoid them, no problems with 23mm Gatorskins. I would have gone further but after letting lunch digest for a while I set out later than I intended and didn't take any lights with me.

Gordon

Sorry i mean roads round here are compacted snow that has frozen completely. Unless you have studs you had no hope :angry:.Its driving me nuts not been out for a week !!

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
I headed out on a bike (P-X today) for the first time in two weeks, this afternoon. Harefield and environs rather than townbound (much to my sister's disgust as she was hoping I would be hanging around to do Christmas! :tongue: ) Nice clear roads, hardly a car, no other bikes and a chill breeze with seasonal sun. 'Whoops' when I (all of a sudden) encountered an icy patch but at such a speed I did the slide and stayed upright. I got off and turned around. Diabolical, but I was pleased with myself for a change. My gears were unresponsive too. :sad:

2gxicns.jpg

etehs1.jpg

Edit: Haven't got a counter thingy but I just plotted the route on BRToaster and it was 33kms + a bit
Well done, Teef. Looked fab out there. Those pics on the Breakspear Road North?
Still too icy up this way to go anywhere.

Right in one Charlie - after the downhill bit (past the barking dogs!) So bleak and quiet...I was lost in thought.
I did try heading your way via Hill End Road (which was in good condition and more or less flat) to Rickmansworth, but I had a bit of a slider down there so turned around quicksmart. I did take a shot of that but it's on my 'phone :rolleyes:

Oh and I did get a dinner AND suffered Brucie baby in 'Die Hard'

And Red says "Sod the sprouts - where's my carrots and apples?" Cheers John. :cheers:
Carrots are still frozen hard but he did get half a can of guinness in his tea(i had to taste the other half)so he was quite happy when i left him.
Anyway nice pics Teef. I only managed 30 miles, headed over to Luton airport first, couldn't see much there so worked my way back through the lanes trying to avoid the untreated ones. Traffic was only a bit quieter than normal and i only saw one other cyclist out.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Didn't get out yesterday but I've been out four times now in the snow on the MTB and had a great ride each time. Okay, only 12 miles each time (roughly equivalent to 24 road miles I reckon) but it feels good and the snow and ice crunch satisfyingly under the tyres.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I did about 5 miles after the meal by which time all the children were safely playing with their pressies.

orpc9w.jpg
23iuyh2.jpg
1z6cbyh.jpg

It was lovely ... back roads very icy but main roads were clear (cycle paths definitely snowy/icy)

Top Bottom