Anyone going for a Christmas day ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Just back from 5 miles with the boys, cold but good fun and finished all my toy/gadget assembly duties. Under instructions to remove something from oven in 20 mins, Jane is now luxuriating in a bath and the boys are scattered around the house.

I'm now puzzling over my own prezzie as it would seem I requested the wrong crankset from Santa :wub: I'm sure I'll be starting a thread about that shortly.

slugonabike

I had hoped to manage a ride, or at least a walk, while Mr S is w*rking. However, it's very icy here, I'm not quite 7 weeks following my back surgery and I'm too nervous of slipping to risk it (haven't been on the bike yet since my op and have been warned not to out my feet down hard for a while yet).

Fingers crossed that we can both find somewhere safe tomorrow (possibly the prom) to enjoy some fresh air

frank9755

Cyclist
Just back in from a 5 mile loop round the neighbourhood. Had planned to do a long ride. I did 45 miles last Christmas Day and was intending to do the same route today but its just a bit too icy for the back roads and just cold enough for me to cry off.

Nevertheless, it was great to get out if only for 15-20 minutes. Really refreshing and lovely and warm now I'm back in the house.

Surprised how many people were out. Lots of cars. Quite a few food shops open (in Ealing) and I saw one other bike.

Midnight

I'd planned on going out, but Tuesday afternoon I was half-way through servicing my wheel bearing, stopped for dinner, and managed to burn the fingers on my left hand, so with only one good hand, the wheels are still unfinished. But the fingers are much better today, and I reckon I'll have the bike ready for tomorrow. Hope it's as sunny tomorrow as it was this morning...

I NEEDED that ride... first time I've ever had a Xmas morning ride ever. I think it may be the start of a new tradition for me.

I planned to have a wee ride out, then thought I wouldn't as I drank MUCH more than I intended to last night, but with a stinking hangover, when I woke up I thought I need to sweat it out or else suffer for the whole day

40 minutes of slow slogging feeling ready to throw up (thankfully not) and a little walk around Longshaw estate and then a nice but chilling descent back home and I'm as right as rain, ready to do it all again!

Dunno why I bothered taking the water bottle though, by the time I wanted a drink from it, it was frozen up anyway!

29enm2r.jpg

I headed out on a bike (P-X today) for the first time in two weeks, this afternoon. Harefield and environs rather than townbound (much to my sister's disgust as she was hoping I would be hanging around to do Christmas! :tongue: ) Nice clear roads, hardly a car, no other bikes and a chill breeze with seasonal sun. 'Whoops' when I (all of a sudden) encountered an icy patch but at such a speed I did the slide and stayed upright. I got off and turned around. Diabolical, but I was pleased with myself for a change. My gears were unresponsive too. :sad:

2gxicns.jpg

etehs1.jpg

Edit: Haven't got a counter thingy but I just plotted the route on BRToaster and it was 33kms + a bit

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Right, just back from bike-delivering presents and cards and remaining mostly sober for the journey. Oven on now, roast coming along and, all dischargeable duties discharged, absolutely no reason why I shouldn't spend the rest of the evening drinking and eating. Mmm, those roast potatoes are coming along nicely....

It's not bad out down in London, just below zero but dry and only a light breeze, and I just ended up in a festive 4-bike convoy which was good fun and just perfect for a Christmas day ride home!

frank9755

Cyclist
I headed out on a bike (P-X today) for the first time in two weeks, this afternoon. Harefield and environs rather than townbound

Teef,
Looks like you got a bit of afternoon sun!
If I'd gone for a proper ride I would have gone by Harefield [insert smiley for 'now regretting having been lazy arse and not done a proper ride']

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I went out earlier on Creaky bike (a £30 special I got a few years back) to deliver some cards - just about everyone told me to be careful, which I thought slightly amusing considering I barely broke about 10mph the entire time! :blush:

I'll have to continue going out on the bike as the snow is good to get the muscles in my legs all built up again.

Did 10 miles round the Suffolk roads this afternoon, desperately cold but worth the effort. Didn't see a single car but had the opportunity to wish walking neighbours the compliments of the day. The road surface was icy in places but easy enough to avoid them, no problems with 23mm Gatorskins. I would have gone further but after letting lunch digest for a while I set out later than I intended and didn't take any lights with me.

Gordon

Top Bottom