Anyone got a Specialized Langster?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
I was thinking of getting one of these on the Cycle2Work scheme for my commute - 7 miles, generally flat, with a couple of mild hill stretches.

What's your experience of the Langster as a commuter? Good bike? How did you find the gear ratioing? Any problems on the hills?

Thanks

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
No,

But I do have a Kona Paddy wagon and love it, Langster is not a lot different, new steel one looks lush... Get one I'm sure you won't be disappointed. However do consider some of the others on the market..
Kinesis Decade Convert......mmmmmmm

redddraggon

Blondie
I have a Langster, it's alright, won't take proper guards (easily) but it will take a rack.

Gearing is easily and cheaply changed, so if the stock gearing isn't to your like you could always change it.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I have an old style Langster, the 2006 with a track frame. It's OK, a slightly twitchy and harsh ride given the track geometry frame and straight alu forks. It'd be awesome over 7 miles, perfect for ducking and diving through traffic.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Thanks for the replies.

Does the Langster have some sort of switchable hub so it turns into a fixed gear, if you want it in that mode?

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Keep it single speed Maz - much more civilised.

*ducks*

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Keep it as a single speed bike, with a freewheel mechanism to allow coasting as opposed to a fixed gear which has no freewheel so the pedals are in motion when the bike is in motion, Maz - much more civilised. :ohmy:

dondare

Über Member
It's more down to the wheel than the bike. I believe that a hub threaded on one-side for a single-fixed and on t'other for a single-free is called a "flip-flop" by afixionados.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
threebikesmcginty said:
Keep it as a single speed bike, with a freewheel mechanism to allow coasting as opposed to a fixed gear which has no freewheel so the pedals are in motion when the bike is in motion, Maz - be a wuss. :biggrin:

Fixed that for ya 3BMc :angry:

ftf

I had a Langster... until yesterday. Some little %@#$^'s stole it from outside SOHO gym in Waterloo.

It is (was) a great commuting bike - easy to ride, light like you wouldn't believe and visually a good looking bike as well. I would recommend it for sure.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
ftf said:
I had a Langster... until yesterday. Some little %@#$^'s stole it from outside SOHO gym in Waterloo.

It is (was) a great commuting bike - easy to ride, light like you wouldn't believe and visually a good looking bike as well. I would recommend it for sure.
Sorry to hear that, mate. What a first post to start off on CycleChat with! Welcome aboard. :biggrin:

Top Bottom