Anyone got any experience of SLIME?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cromcruaich

I found the slime belts problematic even though I took care fitting them, one in my rear tyre kept slowly slipping, got distorted and ended up giving me a puncture. Front tyre was fine. Oh well.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I am not a fan of slime. If you get a big puncture, for example after cycling over a nail or shard of glass, the slime doesn't help much. If you get a thorn or sharp stone stuck in your tyre, you keep re-puncturing your tyres until you run out of slime. It's better just to get more puncture resistant tyres IMO

My experience of slime is that it is shoot.
I once had a small puncture on a Marin hardtail whose normal inner tubes had been "enhanced" with Slime (the bottle type which you pump into normal inner tubes).
Well, I pulled the tube out - when it went flat with a minor/small hole - and pumped it up a little, whereupon both me and my brother gazed in dismay as the hole expanded in size as the Slime seemed to be melting it and making it bigger...

Inner tube went straight in bin, never touched Slime again.
I go for "puncture resistant" tyres with kevlar reinforcement and Panaracer's "Kevlar Flat Away" strips which you have to wind around the inside of your tyre.
Both I can assure you have been far, far better than any Slime product in my experience.

1LegRikk

I had slime tubes on my mtb and never had a single puncture in 2 years of riding and we went over ANYTHING.
Come time to change tyres I'd 10-15 little green dots and loads of thorns in the tyre where it had sealed.
Obviously for anything bigger than nails/thorns it won't work, only thing to do is change tubes every 12-18 months as with the odd re-inflate the good solidifies a little.

Top Bottom