Anyone got kidney !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A couple of years ago at 63 I was told I had a hiatus hernia along with acid reflux so a bit miffed as I have always kept fit but not moaning as others have far worse.
In additional I was told that one of my kidneys wasn't functioning correctly and they would monitor it yearly which they never have but now more recently I am feeling wacked most of the time but still managing to get out on the bike so I would be interested in hearing from those that have kidney problems to see whether my tiredness could be caused by a kidney problem.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I thought this was going to be a recipe request.
I had Kidney stone a few months back. Then told I had cyst on other kidney. All okay now but I was a little scared for a while. 60 next month so will try to take it carefully. I need to drink more (water of course).

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
If it helps I have had Haemo dialysis and two renal transplants..
If you want to talk privately, feel free. Or here. Whatever suits you.

OP
OP
hondated

hondated

Guru
Thanks everyone for your quick responses.guitarpete274 yes take it easy and make sure you drink more water.
Marmion I was wondering about the fatigue issue but my wife keeps telling me your not getting any younger so your gonna get more tired. EPO hope hes improving as the only other time I read about that was in the Tour some years ago and it certainly helped them.
Roadrider48 really sorry to read about your issues and you having to have two renal transplants. Funnily enough I have two friends that are both waiting to have transplants. One of them it will be his second and the other is a friend who's daughter needs a kidney.
I am not going to make a big thing about it at the moment but if it does turn out I do have a kidney problem I will PM you. Thanks
deptfordmarmoset Sorry to read that you have a dodgy kidney and I hope it doesn't get worse. As I said they are suppose to be monitoring mine but for the last two years it has not happened. Now I am feeling so tired I will chase them up next week.
I dare say we all feel the same in that we all try to keep ourselves fit but along comes an issue like this and you struggle to just get around a local route which makes you feel miffed. Ok there are people far worse off but it still gets me annoyed. Thanks again everyone.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Thanks everyone for your quick responses.guitarpete274 yes take it easy and make sure you drink more water.
Marmion I was wondering about the fatigue issue but my wife keeps telling me your not getting any younger so your gonna get more tired. EPO hope hes improving as the only other time I read about that was in the Tour some years ago and it certainly helped them.
Roadrider48 really sorry to read about your issues and you having to have two renal transplants. Funnily enough I have two friends that are both waiting to have transplants. One of them it will be his second and the other is a friend who's daughter needs a kidney.
I am not going to make a big thing about it at the moment but if it does turn out I do have a kidney problem I will PM you. Thanks
deptfordmarmoset Sorry to read that you have a dodgy kidney and I hope it doesn't get worse. As I said they are suppose to be monitoring mine but for the last two years it has not happened. Now I am feeling so tired I will chase them up next week.
I dare say we all feel the same in that we all try to keep ourselves fit but along comes an issue like this and you struggle to just get around a local route which makes you feel miffed. Ok there are people far worse off but it still gets me annoyed. Thanks again everyone.
No problem.

tats1

A couple of years ago at 63 I was told I had a hiatus hernia along with acid reflux so a bit miffed as I have always kept fit but not moaning as others have far worse.
In additional I was told that one of my kidneys wasn't functioning correctly and they would monitor it yearly which they never have but now more recently I am feeling wacked most of the time but still managing to get out on the bike so I would be interested in hearing from those that have kidney problems to see whether my tiredness could be caused by a kidney problem.

Hello there.
At the age of 49 last year I went to docs because trouble sleeping.I had scans at hospital and it turned out that I only had 1 kidney.
As I am getting older I tend to be more tired but I could not say it is the result of 1 kidney.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Oops, I missed this question somewhere over the Olympics. Yes, the other one's fine and I suspect I'd be better off having a nephrectomy done on my dodgy one but I have a history of failed procedures so settled with what I started off with.
Hi mate.
Kidney biopsy is a pretty safe procedure. But initially diagnosis will be blood tests and possibly an ultrasound.
Good luck what ever you decide to do mate.

I've just skimmed this thread so may have missed you saying you were doing this - but get yourself to a GP and get referred to nephrology. This is not something you should diagnose over the internet.

(I have a friend who retired in July after 40 years in Nephrology. If you have a specific question I could ask her. But better you get your renal functions tested, and rule that out or start addressing the problem, if there is one)

My - possibly ill-informed - understanding is that your kidneys filter toxins from your blood. If your kidneys aren't doing that, your symptoms may only be tiredness, but the toxins still in your blood will damage other organs - heart, lung, brain. See a doctor!

Last edited:
OP
OP
hondated

hondated

Guru
I've just skimmed this thread so may have missed you saying you were doing this - but get yourself to a GP and get referred to nephrology. This is not something you should diagnose over the internet.

(I have a friend who retired in July after 40 years in Nephrology. If you have a specific question I could ask her. But better you get your renal functions tested, and rule that out or start addressing the problem, if there is one)

My - possibly ill-informed - understanding is that your kidneys filter toxins from your blood. If your kidneys aren't doing that, your symptoms may only be tiredness, but the toxins still in your blood will damage other organs - heart, lung, brain. See a doctor!
Thanks jefmcg I actually found the letter advising me that I needed to have a annual check up on my kidney and its worded that each year I should be pro active in arranging an appointment rather than what I thought that they would contact me each year.
I suppose I am guilty of remembering the days when they would do that . Anyway I have an appointment for a blood test 8th Sept now. Thanks for your advice . Ted

Roadrider48

Voice of the people

You quietly fill up with fluid and toxins poison your internal bits. It is almost symptomless.
I was literally half an hour from death according to the medics. Years ago now, but treatment lasts forever-unfortunately.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My 9 year old has cogenital acute polycystic renal failure , with meds he has 30 % kidney function and he does get tired quicker than normal, they are now talking about growth hormone treatment as my 4 year old is the same height.

Top Bottom