Anyone growing their own veggies?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
Tomatoes
Grapes
Spuds
Chilli peppers
Sprouts

not bad for a postage stamp sized garden in London

subaqua

What’s the point
Are they under glass? I'm hoping my chillis will crop in the greenhouse this year, but I've never had much luck with chillis elsewhere.

They are in Utilityroom/conservatory/greenhouse /lean to at the back at the moment. last year we had a good crop but they came in every night to avoid fox and cold damage. I set up a solenoid valve on a timer with a good feed while we were away on Holiday so they got water and food daily .

we did bell peppers outside and the foxes didn't destroy them but we did fit chicken wire to 3 ft high round the pots

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
It's at the tiny seedling stage at the minute, but I've got it in a tub with a space under the soil which you fill with water. Whether or not this'll work long term I have no idea ...

We discovered last year that wild watercress grows in a stream not far from us. Saves us the bother of having to try growing it!

I have always been a non-gardener, unless you count weeds as successfully growing things!

But for Xmas someone gave me a chilli plant kit, and they are coming on pretty successfully. Now transferred into a couple of grow bags on the edge of the daisy meadow lawn

So, flushed with enthusiasm we set up a small raised bed (1 metre square) in a corner of the back jungle garden and have had the first of the radishes, with carrots and parsnips and lettuce coming along well.

Now I have made a deeper raised bed from some old pallet wood scrounged from work, and seed poatoes are sprouting vigorously so I am looking forward to some home grown produce over the summer!

And if I can do it, anybody can.....

yello

Yes; 4 varieties of tomato , beetroot, leaks, onions, radish, various lettuce, peppers, aubergines, cauliflower, cabbage, Jerusalem artichoke, potatoes, rhubarb, raspberries

yello

We've got some globe artichokes from a neighbour too. Need to work out when/where to plant those.

The garden has become perhaps my greatest pleasure since moving to France. I've limited motivation for DIY (or the renovation projects that so many Brits here have) but I can potter for hours with my compost heaps!

If they're seedlings, you should get them in the ground as fast as possible as they need to get their roots down if you want a chance of getting a small crop this year. And watch put for slugs, which adore them.

We always grow lots and keep the plants for three or four years and give them plenty of composted chicken poo.

I tried those last year and got nothing but leaves, which is a shame because they are great to eat and look attractive as they grow too. This year I've got garlic, onions, spinach, spring onions, butternut squash, courgettes, french beans and chillis on the go. The snips and carrots are being very reluctant so I'm going to have to replant the seeds I think (the seeds were a bit old).

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
We've got some globe artichokes from a neighbour too.

My mum grew those about 30+ years ago, not so common here then, she was very pleased. Then they were all cut down one day, all was explained when the old boy next door told her 'you had some funny stuff growing in your garden so I leaned over the fence and chopped it down for you', he was a nice man so she thanked him :smile:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
My peas never made it beyond the borders of the veg patch either, and I've only myself to blame
cool.gif
Me too,used to eat my Dads peas off the plant,some things never change !:biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Got a fair bit on the go this year.

Chilli's have taken, and in a hanging basket - onions, garlic, potatoes, carrots, asparagus, strawberries

I love a Reclaimed Pallet Timber Project (I have stripping pallets down to a very fine art, being able to strip a Euro standard pallet in about 90 seconds without damaging any of the timbers), so I have made a three tiered vegetable planter for us to grow fast growing salad crops in. The bottom tier is 150cm X 150 cm X 30 cm. The middle tier is 100 cm X 100 cm X 60 cm. The top tier is 50 cm X 50 cm X 90 cm:

020.jpg

There is a full write up of how I made it, with loads of photos here: http://overthegate.m...about23541.html

I have now got two other planters as work in progress a 3 tier flower planter for up against the hedge, and a 4 tier herb planter which will feature as an island at the end of the patio.

Top Bottom