Anyone had a Brooks repaired?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deejayen

Veteran
I haven't used my Brooks Swallow (with titanium rails) for a good number of years, and having retrieved it from storage I've seen that the rivets at the nose of the saddle are a bit rusty, and the brown leather has darkened to almost black. It wasn't stored in a damp place, so I'm not sure why the rivets have rusted.

It seems that Brooks will repair saddles, but won't carry out any renovation of the leather.

I'm just wondering if it's worth having it repaired (I could put the cost of the repair towards a new saddle). Also, is there a risk that it will be damaged by the process of having rivets replaced?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I’m sure the cost of the repair plus the sending back and retuning will be expensive. Seems it’s easy to do yourself with brass rivets specifically for Brooks saddles. Don’t know about the darkening, you might have to just live with it.

View: https://youtu.be/NZtRrxsxxao

OP
OP
D

deejayen

Veteran
Thanks - I'll have a look at that later.

However, I suspect I'd be more inclined to send the saddle to Brooks in case I made a mess of it!

I don't know if it makes any difference, but my saddle has the nickel rivets.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I doubt there would be anything Brooks could do about the colour of the leather. However ageing and patina is what happens with older saddles. I'd just love it just as much no matter.

I love my Brooks saddle and having a darkened saddle wouldnt change that. Good luck whatever decisson you make

OP
OP
D

deejayen

Veteran
Thanks. Yes, I'm not too bothered about discolouration of the leather - it gives it character! I'll need to take a closer look to see if it's rotted or anything, but I think it's okay.

I'll contact Brooks to see about having the rivets replaced.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don't know if you're aware but Brooks have been taken over by big Italian saddle company Selle Royale. I don't know how this affects remedial work.

simongt

Guru
Don’t know about the darkening, you might have to just live with it.
I bought a Royal blue B.17 about four years ago as it complimented the blue frame of my GT Bravado. With appropriate use and suitable applications of Proofide, said saddle can now at best, be described as Navy blue - ! ^_^

simongt

Guru
Brooks have been taken over by big Italian saddle company Selle Royale.
Oh dear, another great British icon bites the dust. :sad:

You could try a bit of lemon juice on the rivets to see if it will clean them up .
You can buy new copper rivets . I bought some to repair my old Brooks when the nose section broke off . I glued some leather underneath to hold the whole saddle together . What I discovered is that you should rivet the front section on before the rear as I forgot to put the end stretching bolt in! :angry:

OP
OP
D

deejayen

Veteran
Thanks. I still haven't had a chance to have a closer look. Sanding the rivets might be an option, or possibly even using some chrome cleaner might take off the worst if it's surface rust. They felt quite rough, so it might be deeper, and I wouldn't want to snag my bibs on them!

All uphill

Still rolling along
Thanks. I still haven't had a chance to have a closer look. Sanding the rivets might be an option, or possibly even using some chrome cleaner might take off the worst if it's surface rust. They felt quite rough, so it might be deeper, and I wouldn't want to snag my bibs on them!
Wear cotton shorts and then ride lots. That will help rub off the rust and burnish the leather!

Top Bottom