Anyone had "correct" brake pads refuse to fit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'm having trouble fitting new brake pads into my calipers. The brake is a Promax DSK 717, it's basically mechanically identical to the Avid BB5 and has two round pads which secure in place with a spring. The pads come out one by one through the slot where the rotor sits. These are the pads:

Screenshot_20200802-164433_Chrome.jpg

I bought new pads from Nukeproof but they are just that tiny bit thick (we're talking microns) to fit through the slot. They go some of the way in and get jammed due to thickness of the braking compound... I feel tempted to give them a whack as I know they'll seat fine once in, it's just getting them in that's the issue.

Any ideas? Is it okay to firmly tap them into place? I'm just very surprised they won't simply slot in.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Thats a mechanical disk brake you will need to back off the pistons before trying to fit new pads. The inside piston should have either an allen key slot in it to back it off. The outside one just slacken the cable off a bit, slot new pads in then adjust. I find the best way is to adjust inside one first so it is just clear of disk, then adjust outside one til brake feels right

OP
OP
CanucksTraveller

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Thanks, both pistons were fully backed off however and it's the actual solid housing that has a slot through which the new (single) pad will not quite fit. It's simply a "sofa too big for the door frame" kind of problem if that makes sense, i.e. it will fit once I get it past the "door", but the door is solid and isn't adjustable. I was just wondering if it's okay to hoof it in with a bit of force or if this is a known issue with a new pad.

I'll attempt to post a more helpful photo when I'm with the bike, thank you in the meantime.

Top Bottom