Anyone had this one offered to them

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
Don't tell me, it was a 4x4 or people carrier. Not being sexist, but it's mainly women who drive them...
i know loads (probably upwards of a hundred farmers who all drive a large 4x4 of some sort or another, be it a mitsibushi l200, a land rover, a range rover, toyota hilux or a isuzu d max etc etc all large 4x4 and most of them are chaps and most of them are bl**dy good drivers. the fact they als all drive large tractors and reverse them in tight situations with a 25ft long by 20ft high bale trailer might or might not have anything to do with their general driving! :tongue:

but as for OP, what un-human scum! they've got to be mad
i have never been part of an accident or collision involving any vehicle or even another bike but i always stop at any accident scene i come across to see that all is okay and under control and that emergency services etc are on their way. then i'll do a quick medical/injury check being first aid trained and just general real life experience with such. only then will i leave if i am happy with all but generally i try to stick around until professional aid and emergency services arrive
but if i were to be part of an accident/collision i have no doubt that i would stay on the scene until everything was sorted, be that if it includes going with the police or what ever
Cheers Ed

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Apologies, had put this in Cyclist Down when I couldn't find mention of it. Surprised nobody has pointed out that the kids day got worse when Halfords said they'd fix the bike for him for free.

It does beggar belief that people would do this. As the mother says, I hope they see this and realise how low they are (or their friends do, I'm sure they got to school and complained about being late because they had to wipe cyclist from the car.).

The reports I read seemed pretty balanced, I presume it's because the victim was a minor.

gtsiwak

Regular
I just started cycling couple weeks ago . But every story i hear the car driver runs. My brother cycling for years said he got hit by car about five times and he never got any help from the driver.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nothing shocks me. I and the other cyclist were left in the road in September. I was getting medical assistance for the other cyclist whilst I was struggling with broken ribs. No witnesses stopped. Even a passing nurse couldn't be bothered to assume responsibility for the other cyclist until the ambulance turned up. She said she would be late for work.

Even the girl that ran me over in 2008 never got out of her car. People just don't give a s###.

I've lost faith in anyone during commute times. Must get to work/home mentality.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
It unfortunately happens in all areas of life. My son was playing in a hockey match when one of his team mates was hit on the temple with a stick. He was prone on the floor for some minutes with blood coming from the injury. No one other than our coach was doing much to help. He ended up in A&E and received stitches. Later in the same match a boy from the opposition had a ball bounce up and hit him in the face. He was clearly in pain although not badly injured. Our coaches wife asked if there was anything she could do to help and was told to "go away, I am his father and a doctor" WTF do they do not owe some sort of a duty of care to help injured people? particularly a 13 year old :angry:

jarlrmai

Veteran
Guy who knocked me off didn't get out of his car either, luckily some other drivers did.

He did a U-turn pulled up alongside me and offered me a bottle of water told me his phone number and drove off, later he didn't answer the phone.

A little surprised that this driver has not been found yet.

Drago

Legendary Member
Before my Missus had to give up driving manuals she was out in my truck one day. She stopped at roadworks, and one of the workmen shouted to his chums, "hey, there's a chick driving that truck!"

As she drove past his mate shouted back, "hey, she's doing alright!"

Deliciously sexist, albeit probably utterly unintentionally. Apologies for going off topic.

Chris S

Legendary Member
A few years ago a Sunday Times poll found that one in four people would murder a complete stranger for a million pounds if they knew that they could get away with it. It seems reasonable to assume that one in four drivers would leave the scene of a crash if they thought that they could get away with it.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
A few years ago a Sunday Times poll found that one in four people would murder a complete stranger for a million pounds if they knew that they could get away with it. It seems reasonable to assume that one in four drivers would leave the scene of a crash if they thought that they could get away with it.

It is a worrying facet of human nature. People will do what they can get away with, to broad extremes. A study was carried out to a lesser scale, where people went to a bank and asked for withdrawals at the kiosk. They were always given £10 too much, but their receipt showed the correct amount. Very few owned up and gave the money back, though most people were seen to count the money they were given. I'd suspect that the 1 in four figure would actually be higher were people actually presented with the cash. I've no faith in human nature at all, in that respect...makes being pleasantly surprised all the nicer though :smile:

Hip Priest

Veteran
It is a worrying facet of human nature. People will do what they can get away with, to broad extremes. A study was carried out to a lesser scale, where people went to a bank and asked for withdrawals at the kiosk. They were always given £10 too much, but their receipt showed the correct amount. Very few owned up and gave the money back, though most people were seen to count the money they were given. I'd suspect that the 1 in four figure would actually be higher were people actually presented with the cash. I've no faith in human nature at all, in that respect...makes being pleasantly surprised all the nicer though :smile:

I'd never leave the scene of an accident, but I probably would keep the tenner.

Top Bottom