Anyone had this one offered to them

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
I'd never leave the scene of an accident, but I probably would keep the tenner.

Not just saying this for the sake of an argument, but the horrible answer is that you really don't know until you've been there...in either way...some people also give themselves a very hard time in terms of their own character and often find themselves shocked by their own good nature. It is 2 different things though as well...running someone over and being offered cash to kill, as per the Times survey quoted.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Not just saying this for the sake of an argument, but the horrible answer is that you really don't know until you've been there...in either way...some people also give themselves a very hard time in terms of their own character and often find themselves shocked by their own good nature. It is 2 different things though as well...running someone over and being offered cash to kill, as per the Times survey quoted.

It's not quite the same, but I once knocked the wing-mirror off a parked car at 3am and I left him a note with my details. I have a very heavy conscience.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
It's not quite the same, but I once knocked the wing-mirror off a parked car at 3am and I left him a note with my details. I have a very heavy conscience.

Yeah, I'm the same..had enough horrible things done to me to know how it feels. A lot of people are just plain mean though...or uncaring...or greedy...or unstable...or panic...I don't know...many other things they could be as well, I suppose but a nice thing or even an honest thing seems to be a rare thing. People tend to act and then reason out their actions afterwards, self justifying to the nth degree. They tell themselves allsorts of lies to justify their actions as well and most people don't even seem to know what I lie even is. Here's a lovely song though, for all the good ones :smile:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhXSbLbE6_c

S.Giles

People tend to act and then reason out their actions afterwards, self justifying to the nth degree. They tell themselves all sorts of lies to justify their actions...
Absolutely. Humans are evolved to survive at all costs. Our ability to think things through in a civilised manner and empathise with others should soften this instinct, but sadly it doesn't always work that way. It's game theory in action. It's not nice, but has collectively got us all where we are today (as a species that is, rather than as individuals).

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'm the same. It's not that I'm more saintly than people who drive off, just that I was brought up to feel that it was an overwhelming obligation, and you can't shrug off that upbringing very easily. The last time I left a note with my phone number, I wasn't sure that the damage was down to me. When the other car's owner phoned me, he didn't even know that there was a small crack in his front bumper that might have been my responsibility. I think that he thought I was entirely bonkers.
On the more serious stuff, I think that @Turbo Rider makes a good point. None of us know how we might react to a really serious incident. I very much hope I would not be found wanting....but I have not taken the exam. I'm a bit reluctant to vilify people who fall short.

Edit: BTW, what the school run carload did was entirely inexcusable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom